Awning tear.....how important

Garypowell

We hardly every use our awning. Sometimes use it to shade the side of RV when we first arrive at a park to help the A/C catch up.

At Anchor Down, Douglas Lake, TN and it is a beautiful day so we decided to eat outside....and put the awning out.....bought unit in late 2012 so awning is 5 years old give or take.

Looked up and noticed that along the edge that is connected (via spline it looks like) to the RV.....you can see light coming through the fabric.... about 20% of this edge. It looks like 1/4" here....1/2" there all along this seam. Like said on about 20% cracked so you can see through it.

Curious if this is somewhat normal?

Do I still have 4 - 5 years of use left or does this condition deteriorate quickly?

I do know if the fabric gives way completely going 65 MPH down the road.....I'm going to be in trouble....and so is someone else!

It looks fairly easy to replace the fabric....anyone do this and at what cost? The frame seems to be in excellent condition.

Thanks,

Garypowell

Just as an added note I was just outside and the sun has now passed on the other side of the trailer......can't see the "tears" any longer. So they are very thin and need direct light behind them to be seen.

Bobby A

Just as an added note I was just outside and the sun has now passed on the other side of the trailer......can't see the "tears" any longer. So they are very thin and ell

Well, I have been through 3 awning fabrics since 2010, we full time in our RV though, so it gets used 24/7 except for bad weather. I need a new one as we speak. They don't make em like they use to. There are several companys that carry Awning fabric. Its not to bad a job, need 3 or 4 people though and someone with a little experience doing it. You have to make sure you put a cotter pin in the side that doesn't have the motor to keep the spring from un winding. Its worth paying a mobile tech $100.00 to do it and do it right. Good luck