Axle Bearings

Abear79

Thanks, I just went with doing 1 wheel at a time. The more I thought about 16k on stands I got worried. I was asking for trouble. I did order me an axle saddle for my bottle jack.

rhodies1

Make sure you use the correct recommended great as per your manual from Dexter,not all greases are compatible and do not mix,Dexter has a list of acceptable greases that can be used for wheel bearings.I know it is important to use the correct grease as I spent 35 years working for Shell Oil in the lubricants division.
Also if your unit is 2yrs old,you should have the bearings pulled,cleaned,repacked,and brake assemblies checked.

mlpeloquin

Do mine as WestWind does along with Bob's suggestion of keeping it hitched. I do it every year so I can inspect the breaks and magnets as well. I have change to wet bearings in the suspension and inspect the suspension and grease them at this time as well. Purchase new grease seals every time. I got two sets the first time and carry a spare set with me.

Abear79

Make sure you use the correct recommended great as per your manual from Dexter,not all greases are compatible and do not mix,Dexter has a list of acceptable greases that can be used for wheel bearings.I know it is important to use the correct grease as I spent 35 years working for Shell Oil in the lubricants division.
Also if your unit is 2yrs old,you should have the bearings pulled,cleaned,repacked,and brake assemblies checked.

That is what I done. Pulled drums cleaned the assembly, Pulled bearings and cleaned, repacked bearings, put new seal, adjusted brakes and put back together.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

If you purchased an extended warranty you are probably required to do this once per year whether it needs it or not (and have documentation to prove it with you) to be covered by the warranty . . .

Or they won't cover you.

Again . . . don't ask me how I know this . . .

carl.swoyer

If your near a Harbor Freight their jack stands are reasonably priced, I bought two and jacked once side at a time and also used the two pneumatic jacks along with blocking the side I was working on. By the way the truck was also hitched to the trailer. It doesn't hurt to be overly cautious.
I removed the bearings on mine at about 12K, cleaned examined the bearings, which were in good shape, and repacked, replaced the seals, cleaned my self adjusting brakes by lightly sanding the drums and pad with a very very fine sandpaper and sprayed with a brake cleaner and made sure everything worked. Our traveling is done on major highways so not alot of start and stopping everything looked really good. As everything gets older I might do it every two years, but I definitely will check suspension components every year or more.
Myself personally, would Jack one axle at a time

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rollin_Free

Yes, the more I think about leaving the RV on stands, its not a good idea. Plus I am upgrading my tires this week. Going with prometer load rating G. I hear good things about them. I was just worried about the towmeter tires I am taking off this weekend anyway. Well the last 2 that didn't blow up on me.

So how did the tire change out go? Did you also grease the bearings while you had the wheels off?