Axle bending while backing up at 90 degrees

brlr2000

When backing up my 5er...and turning sharply (near 90 degrees), I can see in the mirror that the front trailer tire seems to bend outward. Basically, the tire was being dragged sideways across the pavement. They seem to have returned to normal after straightening out the rig. Is this normal? I don't think I will ever attempt to back up that sharply again...unless I'm on dirt.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This is normal. There are times one axle/wheel tilts one way and the other axle tilts opposite. No worries...

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks for the assurance. I'm new to the 5er world. Never saw this happen with my TT.
True. With TT's you don't get quite the angle of backing as you do with a 5th wheel. They do tilt a little but not as much.
Anything else you need help with, come on back. We're here to help.

TedS

It is normal.
Remember to straighten the trailer after getting it in place to unload the wheels while it is parked.

Birchwood

Reduce you turn angles as much as you can and try to avoid tight parking areas.
We all like to use our backing skills but think drive in lots as damage to hangers and
other suspension components could occur.Wherever I go I tell them I have a 40 ft
RV and always get a drive through.

lwmcguir

Thanks for the assurance. I'm new to the 5er world. Never saw this happen with my TT.

A few people have bent the spring hangers backing/turning 90 degrees on concrete. Then that throws the axles out of alignment and you tend to blow or wear tires very fast. Most campers have very light weight spring hangers that aren't designed to be slid on concrete. Safe to slide on gravel or rock however.

brlr2000

So, How can I determine if my axles are OK? Can I tell by looking from behind the trailer...straigt at both tires? Or is there a better way?

Ray LeTourneau

So, How can I determine if my axles are OK? Can I tell by looking from behind the trailer...straigt at both tires? Or is there a better way?
Bruce, find an area where you can pull the trailer in and keep it straight for several feet. Just look at the tires from the rear to see if they're straight. To check for any damaged spring hangers you'll just have to get down under and look for anything that looks bent or out of alignment.
This would be a good time to check the U-bolts on the axle. If you don't have a torque wrench, just wrench them down hard. But at least make sure they're tight.
Same goes for your wheel lugs, they need to be checked while new and every time you remove a tire to service the axle or brakes. Recheck after 50 miles or so.
Sad to say, along with the RV fun, there's maintenance.

happykraut

I've replaced the rear axle on my last RV (Montana) twice. I would think a good way to check it is to keep a very close eye on tire wear. On the last bent axle I could stand in front or behind the rig and clearly see the wheel was leaning in.