Axle Hanger Falling off and welds cracking

rdufek

Yes, particular attentions made during recall and the latest repair to be sure everything is aligned correctly.

dave10a

Mine started to crack and I caught them before they became a problem. I had a professional welder repair the cracks. I inspect mine very closely when traveling and it is a good habit to get into IMHO. I consider the suspension to be marginal at best. BTY I am always under the GVW by a significant (the CAT scale is 12,400 on both 7000 lb axles) margin and only travel in a conservative manner.

rdufek

IMG_2459.jpgIMG_2455.jpg

I'm surprised the Dexter recommendation doesn't get more attention. It's a very SIMPLE and LOW COST solution the beef up the axles and frame.

NYSUPstater

Forgive me as I kinda fell off the radar on this, but the last pic by OP, is that direct from Dexter? Do they have the parts in question or just a diagram that you take to a metal fab shop and let them do all the figuring/welding? With todays rigs weighing in at 14k or more dry, this may be a good thing to have done regardless if new or used.

rdufek

Forgive me as I kinda fell off the radar on this, but the last pic by OP, is that direct from Dexter? Do they have the parts in question or just a diagram that you take to a metal fab shop and let them do all the figuring/welding? With todays rigs weighing in at 14k or more dry, this may be a good thing to have done regardless if new or used.

Take it to your local metal fab shop, apparently it's a standard 3 inch channel which most carry. I have a friend who is going to do the same mod. I actually had this done years ago on an old fifth wheel I had as it was a common problem back then and had been recommend to do to prevent any problems. I never did have an issue after having it done back then. It really beefs up the frame and axle hangers with minimal cost.

NYSUPstater

Went to print if you will the schematics and under preview, it was all black. Any way to print it off or just e-mail it, then print? Or on Dexter's web site?