Axle Wrap problems with 2012 F350 Crew cab, long bed

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Duane,

I found little or no SHUDDER with the air bags installed. However the part #'s you posted do they need to be dealer installed or is it something I could do?
Also, is the shudder straight line or turning? Cause striaght line I have little or none.
Jim

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Dead stop drive away, up to about 20 mph it is most noticeable.

Load that trailer up, fill all the tanks and give it a try.

MTPockets

I have the 2013 DRW F350 and I do get a slight shudder when towing on startup accelleration... after just a few feet of travel it goes away.... My question - Is there actual harm, improper wear, or damage being done when shudder occurs? Or, is it just it being an irritant? ....

ramdually4100king

I have the 2013 DRW F350 and I do get a slight shudder when towing on startup accelleration... after just a few feet of travel it goes away.... My question - Is there actual harm, improper wear, or damage being done when shudder occurs? Or, is it just it being an irritant? ....

I have a dodge but have the startup shudder. I talked to a suspension shop today and they recommended redoing the leaf pack before I blow a u-joint. They said adding two leafs will significantly reduce the shudder. I am having it done on Friday and towing on Monday. I will update with results.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I have a dodge but have the startup shudder. I talked to a suspension shop today and they recommended redoing the leaf pack before I blow a u-joint. They said adding two leafs will significantly reduce the shudder. I am having it done on Friday and towing on Monday. I will update with results.

I can't see sig's on the iPad but what year is your Dodge? If its a 03 to 12 do you have a one piece or two piece drive shaft? If you have a 2 piece steal I would replace it with a single piece Alu. You can get them for around $450 on the dodge part wholesaler websites. Comes complete with both yokes and it takes about 20 minutes to swap them out.

That will more then likely get rid of you start up shudder. That carrier in the two piece is a pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

ramdually4100king

I can't see sig's on the iPad but what year is your Dodge? If its a 03 to 12 do you have a one piece or two piece drive shaft? If you have a 2 piece steal I would replace it with a single piece Alu. You can get them for around $450 on the dodge part wholesaler websites. Comes complete with both yokes and it takes about 20 minutes to swap them out.

That will more then likely get rid of you start up shudder. That carrier in the two piece is a pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

I have a 2009. The tech showed me pics of the leaf springs that they removed and you can tell the previous owner overloaded the truck. The leafs were "S" shaped. OEM was 3 over 1 and I upgraded to 5 over 2. I did this because of the ridiculous tongue weight of my cyclone. The truck rides better unloaded now and I will report on Monday after I tow if it helped.

ramdually4100king

Ok so I towed the 4100 today and the axle wrap is gone. I even tested it out by starting on a hill with a significant grade. The extra leafs were a good investment.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Well towed a couple of times with 5er all packed up as we need it to be and looked for shudder on take off's, well I could not detect any shudder so at this point I will say I don't beleive I have a shudder issue. Thanks Duane for your input.