B&W Patriot Hitch... Good enough?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Getting ready to place an order for a new Bighorn 3570rs... GVR is 15,500 and will likely order with the mor-ryde pinbox. I recently purchased a new Ram 3500 Dually and now looking for a 5th wheel hitch. I am leaning towards the B&W Patriot 16K ($900 out the door / installed). Is this going to be up to the task or should I be looking at an 18k or 20k hitch? All suggestions and recommendations appreciated. Thanks.... Bret

jnbhobe

I would look for a minimum 18K and maybe a 20K. A little overkill is not a bad thing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Absolutely go with the 18k or 20k hitch. 16k is to close to the hitch weight limit..

I have the Companion 18k. If I were going to get a new one today I would go with B&W and get the 20k if I could. I would be able to pull any trailer I wanted with out having to install a larger one.

FWIW
BC

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
You'll be just fine with a 16k hitch on that trailer. If a 16k rated hitch could not handle 15,500lb all day everyday then it would not be rated for 16k.

All because you are close to or at the maximum rated weight does not mean it is going to fail.

Here is the simple formula. If you are not going to exceed the weight it is perfectly fine. If you are going to exceed the weight rating you then need larger. So which of the two do you fall under?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Al.K

I just bought and installed a Patriot in my truck.If you have seen one you can tell it is very well made.Made in the USA was also important to me.Most are not anymore.
I think you would be within limits and would be happy with it.If you find you dont like it you have rails for a different hitch.I do agree that more could be better,but not needed.
Any of the hitches I have seen that would be under rated didn't fail.They just wear out the pivot pionts and moving parts early. JMO