Back up camera

Twrunion

Just got a new cyclone 3800. Backing with the wife guiding is a little to much. I could use some help with which is the best back up camera to buy.

jimtoo

Hi Twrunion,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Well,, I'm not gonna get into the middle of helping you choose a camera to replace your wife. :) I'm sure some of our other family members will jump in soon with some suggestions.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

truknutt

Committed Member
I mounted it above the door and just below the rear marker lights. Drill and tap into the marker lights up top all the connections are inside with a provided rubber grommet sealing the wire hole.

The monitor just plugs into the cig lighter/power point.

Attached pics show 12 ft, 40 ft & 50 ft from the Cyclone's rear bumper.

Attachments

• VoyagerView.JPG
    VoyagerView.JPG
    707.1 KB · Views: 230
  • VoyagerView2.JPG
    VoyagerView2.JPG
    684.9 KB · Views: 189
  • VoyagerView3.jpg
    VoyagerView3.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 177

scottyb

Very nice. We are in the market for one. I will have to check out the Cyclone when I get home. We have the rear awning and I need to see where it could be mounted. I have been looking at the units that mount on a license plate backet, but it's way down low on mine. I would prefer the perspective that you have.

kuhn_tech

I work for a trailer parts and accessories store, and we carried a camera called the Hindsight Backup Camera from Tow Ready. It comes with a single day/night camera with a microphone built into it(eliminating shouting matches and saving marriages) and a multi-channel monitor. It is a wireless system, so the only thing you need to do is provide a 12vdc powersouce for the camera. Additional cameras can be added on(up to 4 including the main one). We sold the kit for $250 I believe.
These can be mounted anywhere that you can provide a power source and a ferrous metal surface. Chrome plated steel escuchion plates make a nice metal surface to mount on. They can be found at any hardware store.
The part numbers are:
67300 - HindSight Single Back-up Camera System w/Magnetic Base
67302 - Hindsight Single Back-up Camera, Channel 2
67303 - Hindsight Single Back-up Camera, Channel 3
67304 - Hindsight Single Back-up Camera, Channel 4

Hopefully this gives you some insight as to which one to buy.

Last edited:

caissiel

I had a rear cam set up and I realty could not improve my backing confidence.
I use 2 x 6 blocking for leveling.
So when I plan my backing in a site I place the blocking on inside trailer wheel path and follow the marked trail and the DW make sure I will not hit anything. If its realy tough site to fit the unit I guide her while she backs the unit.

I have a GPS din2. Radio DVD unit that I installed in my truck and connected rear cam and had trailer can on previous unit but have not connected it on the BC. Had a coax sellector switch that I could choose cam to display on monitor.
Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

scottyb

I think I want a camera more for seeing what's behind me going down the road than I do for backing. Don't get me wrong, having it for backing would be a bonus. I really don't like not being able to see what is going on for a good distance behind me. Even with mirrors extended, it seems like there is a huge blind area.

jayandhisgals

I work for a trailer parts and accessories store, and we carried a camera called the Hindsight Backup Camera from Tow Ready. It comes with a single day/night camera with a microphone built into it(eliminating shouting matches and saving marriages) and a multi-channel monitor. It is a wireless system, so the only thing you need to do is provide a 12vdc powersouce for the camera. Additional cameras can be added on(up to 4 including the main one). We sold the kit for $250 I believe.
These can be mounted anywhere that you can provide a power source and a ferrous metal surface. Chrome plated steel escuchion plates make a nice metal surface to mount on. They can be found at any hardware store.
The part numbers are:
67300 - HindSight Single Back-up Camera System w/Magnetic Base
67302 - Hindsight Single Back-up Camera, Channel 2
67303 - Hindsight Single Back-up Camera, Channel 3
67304 - Hindsight Single Back-up Camera, Channel 4

Hopefully this gives you some insight as to which one to buy.

Thanks for the info. I am going to check into this unit. It might just save me from an arguement or two. Haha