Backing up...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This might cause a lot of talk about what I am going to describe to you but believe me it works. Before my wife passed away we went to Dicks RV Driving School in California. The following is what they taught and I have used it many times, and it works. Unfortunately I no longer have the help of my partner. I have heard or used most of the above methods, but the following works very well.

Using the Orange cones in a large parking lot is very helpful. You have room to practice and not hit anything but the cones.

When you arrive at the campground and get your rig positioned (This suggested by the driving instructor) put your partner in the drivers seat. Your partner does nothing but follow your instructions. Don't use the mirrors, turn and look around. Nothing but steer as you instruct.

You look at the site you want to back into so you know where all the problems might be. Move up beside the drivers mirror facing to the direction you are going to back into. Tell your driver to start backing and give the directions you want the trailer to go, such as go right. The driver turns the steering wheel right. Yes, the drivers right. (The bottom of the steering wheel will be going left). As the trailer moves in the direction you want and you want to straighten it out tell the driver to turn left. (bottom of the steering wheel will be going right). Make as many adjustments in the directions you need, even to tell the driver to stop, pull forward (you then face the front) and turn right. The person always faces the direction in which the RV is going to be moving and gives directions.

I went to a campground and was given an unusual site that I had to bend two directions to get into the spot. The person at the campground told me that he had driven Semi's for years and can direct me into the site with no problem. And he did, using the same method as I stated above.

Most people will not be comfortable with this method at first, but once you practice and get use to it, you will never go back to using other methods..

Again, use the orange cones at first. Back into the cones from both the drivers side and the passenger side.

FWIW
BC

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
This might cause a lot of talk about what I am going to describe to you but believe me it works. Before my wife passed away we went to Dicks RV Driving School in California. The following is what they taught and I have used it many times, and it works. Unfortunately I no longer have the help of my partner. I have heard or used most of the above methods, but the following works very well.

Using the Orange cones in a large parking lot is very helpful. You have room to practice and not hit anything but the cones.

When you arrive at the campground and get your rig positioned (This suggested by the driving instructor) put your partner in the drivers seat. Your partner does nothing but follow your instructions. Don't use the mirrors, turn and look around. Nothing but steer as you instruct.

You look at the site you want to back into so you know where all the problems might be. Move up beside the drivers mirror facing to the direction you are going to back into. Tell your driver to start backing and give the directions you want the trailer to go, such as go right. The driver turns the steering wheel right. Yes, the drivers right. (The bottom of the steering wheel will be going left). As the trailer moves in the direction you want and you want to straighten it out tell the driver to turn left. (bottom of the steering wheel will be going right). Make as many adjustments in the directions you need, even to tell the driver to stop, pull forward (you then face the front) and turn right. The person always faces the direction in which the RV is going to be moving and gives directions.

I went to a campground and was given an unusual site that I had to bend two directions to get into the spot. The person at the campground told me that he had driven Semi's for years and can direct me into the site with no problem. And he did, using the same method as I stated above.

Most people will not be comfortable with this method at first, but once you practice and get use to it, you will never go back to using other methods..

Again, use the orange cones at first. Back into the cones from both the drivers side and the passenger side.

FWIW
BC

Good advise. My dad & I used that technique (kinda had to know my dad) on the farm backing in loaded hay wagons, no mirrors and driver had no eyes on the back corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

As you are backing..turn the wheel slowly. Only use your mirrors. Never look out the rear window..as you will turn the wheel the wrong way every time. "If you can't see me in the drivers mirror....I cant see you" is what we use. Forget the truck....follow the trailer into the site. Until you get good at backing....never try "blind side" backing. Make sure you and DW are on the same page as to what signal's or verbal instruction's mean. Yelling at each other does not work out well. My 2cts worth.

When I first got my fifth wheel I avoided backing in. Later that year I was going to Bob's rally in Temecula, CA. I contacted him and asked about tires and yes backing in. The RV park only has back in sites. Note a great rally if you can make it. He instructed me to stay fairly close to the back in side. Keep my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel, steer the wheel the direction you want the trailer/fifth wheel to go fron the bottom of the steering wheel. I have my wife visible in the mirror, and proceed slowly. Also I glance in the mirror to see when the back of the fifth wheel is visible. After that I use the mirrors when I am 70% in. I can judge better just how close the rear end of the fifth wheel is to the end of the site. Do get out and take a look if you are unsure. The hardest part is getting to know just how far you have to be from your site to start backing up. This will be dependent on the length of the trailer/fifth wheels. With his instructions, I arrived and was being watched by a fellow Heartland owner. I could not believe I nailed it! Just had to pull forward a bout two feet. My fellow Heartland owner gave me 95 out of 100 for the back in.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Thanks Mark for the "Ata Boy". You can try this method. Worked for me driving a 18 wheeler and a big 5er. As you approach your site, get as close to front of the site as you can....driver's side. As you pull past the site, turn to the right to go as wide as the road will let you. Then turn your wheel to the left to slightly jack knife your rig. Then turn the wheels to the right... back in and try to follow your trailer into the site. Just remember...the longer the trailer....the slower it will react to your steering wheel. Turn the wheels slowly.....not lock to lock. The minute it will not come out of the turn...stop and pull forward. One other thing is to remember do not get toooo close to the shore power post. Figure 3' for your slides to go out. Hope you can see in your mind what I mean. It all just takes lots of practice.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks Mark for the "Ata Boy". You can try this method. Worked for me driving a 18 wheeler and a big 5er. As you approach your site, get as close to front of the site as you can....driver's side. As you pull past the site, turn to the right to go as wide as the road will let you. Then turn your wheel to the left to slightly jack knife your rig. Then turn the wheels to the right... back in and try to follow your trailer into the site. Just remember...the longer the trailer....the slower it will react to your steering wheel. Turn the wheels slowly.....not lock to lock. The minute it will not come out of the turn...stop and pull forward. One other thing is to remember do not get toooo close to the shore power post. Figure 3' for your slides to go out. Hope you can see in your mind what I mean. It all just takes lots of practice.

Bob kinda nailed it for you, and was able to put it into words. Good job Bob. That is exactly the approach you want to take. One more tip to add is just make small correction at a time back and forth or side to side when needed. I see guys start to get a little tangled up and instead of making the small corrections, (by stopping - turn the wheel the ether way - pull ahead a tiny bit - turn the wheel back again - and back up again) Instead they pull way forward and start the mess all over again without gaining any good from it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
With his instructions, I arrived and was being watched by a fellow Heartland owner. I could not believe I nailed it! Just had to pull forward a bout two feet. My fellow Heartland owner gave me 95 out of 100 for the back in.

Sounds like you should have gotten a 100!

I've been backing bumper-pulls for years, so am really good with those.

But have only had the 5th-wheel for eight months, so still working out the bugs . . . but getting pretty good at it!

We have a very tight spot next to our garage where we park our Prowler . . .

ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg ProwlerInYard-P1000056.jpg

I usually back it in by myself, but sometimes have help from Cathy.

We just got home last night from the Tucson Rodeo Rally, so I get to go out in a few minutes and do the back-in.

I'll report back later . . . maybe even a photo or two!

skiph

The reason I don't advocate verbal communication is that it's to easy for the spotter to be hidden. Also there is a tendency for people to give "To much" information. If the spotter can't communicate everything they need to then the driver should get out and look.

Have told Lady Wife that one way to get me to stop is to move out of my line of sight. I will NOT back up unless I SEE she is clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Great thread, even for old timers.

I will certainly be testing the validity of "old dogs learning new tricks".

This HAS been a great thread and truly appreciate all the great advice (even the conflicting bits). ;)

skiph

If one can be come proficient doing something by youtube videos, I am now ready to go to work for Fedex. :rolleyes:

That was an awe inspiring video. I can't backup like that into my driveway with my pickup!

Timing is so bad. We made our decision 03/01/2016. The dealer was busy, so we can't do our walk through until this Thursday 03/10/2016. Normally, we would have picked it up then or the next day but our grandkids are coming Friday for the weekend and I am NOT going to be trying something new like this with the Gkids aboard. Not until I feel a lot more comfortable. Then, why not the next week, you ask? Normally this would be no problem but it is Spring Break. EVERYBODY is going out camping. Already looked.

So it will be me in a Walmart parking lot until at least the week after.

Not that anyone cares. :cool:

Thank you all for your responses.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
More fireball?? That's just those morons need. You did notice that this is not filmed in the US.

ksucats

confused - 'not filmed in the US' yet the description says it is downtown Manhattan (not KS either but NY :cool: ). That said, it looks like the metal post on the right side of the door is bent - so some of the drivers must not be so good :)

Gaffer

FWIW
BC

BC, do you still have the video you posted of this method? I found your old post and the link no longer works. I have tried this method with a complete novice and it works great. You just need two things, the spotter who understands what to to say and a driver who will listen.