Bad Experience with Reese Fifth Wheel Hitch by Cequent

regan

Regan
Dear Bighorn Owners
I am writing this to let everyone know about a near catastrophic experience I had with the 18K Signature Series RV hitch, by REESE, distributed by CEQUENT.
the hitch is 5 years old, I tow a 3400 RL. I use it recreationally only, it is not over loaded. I use a 2008 Chevy Duramax as my tow vehicle.

The other day, I noticed that my hitch plaste was not acting quite right, as I prepared for a 4 day trip to go duck hunting. Looking at the hitch itself I noticed that it seemed like it was not sitting right. I decided to run down to my RV center, and have them look at it before I towed.

Upon examination, my shop determined that the hitch had a catastrophic failure, the welds coming apart, upon closer examination they determined that the original welds had no penetration, in fact in some areas virtually no penetration. This could have caused the center section to seperate, and I could have had my coach join me in the cab of the truck.

To their credit, CEQUENT, the distributors for REESE, did not deny it was defective, and sent a new center out immediately. (still had to borrow a friends truck to take my trip)

My complaint is that they would not pay the RV shop the $57.00 to repair their defective product, and seemed to have no interest in looking into this matter as it could affect other owners of similar models.

If you look at the picture below it shows how the weld seperated, and if you look at the top, you can actually see the shiny black paint as the weld had never penetrated the steel.

If you are using the REESE hitch, please make sure you do a very good visual inspection.

DSC07466.JPGDSC07467.JPGDSC07470.JPGDSC07465.JPGDSC07471.JPG

Last edited:

DuaneG

Thanks for posting. I don't have one but if I did I would be looking it over. Seems a little harsh saying don't buy from them. Sounds like they made it right except for a small repair fee. I am glad it was caught before traveling.

Sent from my cell phone. Please forgive typos and spelling errors.

Last edited by a moderator:

regan

Regan
Your right, subject line is changed. But I do feel that this could cause a terrible accident. So my title probably expressed my frustration that they did not seem to care about the problem. If I were the manufacturer of something aas important as this piece, I would be very interested in seeing the product (they dont even want it back) and making sure a customer, who could have been seriously hurt or killed was taken care of. But again, thanks, subject line is less harsh

Last edited by a moderator:

GOTTOYS

It's all about liability..If they had paid an outside shop to repair an already defective unit..they would have assumed the liability in the event it was repaired improperly. By sending you a new unit they were still covered by their product liability insurance which would not have been applied if they were not the ones that repaired it...There was no reason to send it back to them..they could already see it was poorly welded. Myself, if they didn't want the original unit back, I would have had it welded by a quality welding shop and gone on with my trip. When the new hitch arrived..then you could have determined whether to use it or ??? Lucky you caught it...Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can you take some more pics to show exactly where this is and what the failure is? I think I see the failure, but can't tell what area on the hitch this is. I think it would help us. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

A great reminder-it is always a good think to inspect your equipment on a regular basis-good thing you noticed your 5ver was not sitting right.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Can you take some more pics to show exactly where this is and what the failure is? I think I see the failure, but can't tell what area on the hitch this is. I think it would help us. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. From my perspective, it looks like paint peeling from a welded area. Where on the hitch is this located?
I just had my hitch out and lubed all the moving parts but didn't thoroughly inspect any welds. In the past, with the tri glide, I know the hitch has had a few large jolts from hard braking.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Just read an article that states Cequent is moving the Reese production plant from Goshen to Mexico.
It just gets tougher each day to buy American.

wdk450

I had the same not sticking welds issue in my factory-supplied suspension equalizers about 6 months into my ownership of my rig. Lippert would only supply new equalizers, not pay the labor. I am lucky my RV servicer caught this just before a big trip.

regan

Regan
I understand, they only sent the center part of the hitch, not a whole new one, which had to be changed out. It bothered me I had to pay the shop to install the new part. I probably will have the old one welded properly as a spare, and keep a very close eye on the new part.

Birchwood

I am sure the Reese Corporation was very interested in your complaint but the consumer
will never know as this would constitute a massive recall.If this was a frame on an automobile
that was separating the Consumer Saftey affairs branch of the government would order
a recall but perhaps the government doesn't get involved in the RV industry.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I added a few more pictures, let me know if you want more.
Thanks, It's pretty obvious when seen from a different angle. It makes me wonder if those parts are welded on a robotic jig or a person. I'd guess a robotic weld. Glad to hear they are making it right after 5 years.

traveler44

Thanks! I have the Reese 18K too. I did wonder about my bolts that hold it down today while towing through the mountains of Arkansas. I will check those welds too when we get to Houston tomorrow. Thanks- Tom

Duramax1

As I have the same hitch, I would be interested in more pictures.

Thanks,

Actually I was able to locate the source of your failure from your pictures when looking at my hitch and, fortunately my hitch is okay.

But thanks for the headsup to check.

I have had a great experience with this hitch so far.

RoadJunkie

You could submit a report to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and it may be that other reports have been filed with similar weld failures. This forum is a relatively small audience for an issue of this importance.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Those hitches are welded by a programmed machine. Very little if any actual human evolvement during the welding phase of that hitch. So when one is welded poorly there might be 50, 100, or 500 welded in the same fashion before it is caught.

Another reason I prefer B&W hitches. A real person actually welds them together.