bad transfer switch

scottyb

Good advice Bill. Hippy, my symptoms were similar to yours. The breaker on the generator tripped a couple times with a load that should not have caused it to trip. Shortly after, my transfer switch fried (smelled burnt). When I installed the new one, I was getting intermittent voltage across the new one. I traced my problem to the junction box outside of the generator where there was some wiring that was loose and charred. There have been several others that have found the same problem. As Bill said, I would open that J-box and check everything out as a preventative measure.

Hippy

Thanks guys. Will due on checking the junction box.
So ironic this happen to me no sooner it was a topic.

HornedToad

Maybe I was crazy to install a generator myself...
but my junction box was wired by someone who's
life/wallet depended on it!!!

you can turn the AC mains breakers back on

Bill, Would waiting to turn the thermostat to cool serve the same purpose???

I ran my generator 450hrs last season, your advice/comments got my attention.

wdk450

Maybe I was crazy to install a generator myself...
but my junction box was wired by someone who's
life/wallet depended on it!!!

"you can turn the AC mains breakers back on" (from WDK450 post)

Bill, Would waiting to turn the thermostat to cool serve the same purpose???

Mike:
The thermostat shutoff is always a good idea, but turning off the main breakers turns ALL electrical loads off (including stuff you don't think about like the converter/charger, satellite receiver, microwave displays, etc.), thus reducing the contact arcing wear on the transfer switch.

HornedToad

Mike:
The thermostat shutoff is always a good idea, but turning off the main breakers turns ALL electrical loads off (including stuff you don't think about like the converter/charger, satellite receiver, microwave displays, etc.), thus reducing the contact arcing wear on the transfer switch.

OK... with my breaker panel just below the remote start for the generator
it should be easy enough to change my routine and start using the breakers
instead of the thermostat to control the load on the generator.

Originally Posted by wdk450
I can hear an audible "clunk" inside my trailer when this happens

Also, I think I need to follow your instructions and check my transfer switch contacts,
mine has a very loud "clunk" when it kicks over.

Thanks Bill!!!

wdk450

. . . .
Also, I think I need to follow your instructions and check my transfer switch contacts,
mine has a very loud "clunk" when it kicks over.

Thanks Bill!!!

The clunk sound is just the normal sound of the relay switching and no indication if the contacts are good or bad. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to check them out - just be safe!

Hippy

Clunk must be normal. I also hear it and this is only the second time out since I got(bought) it early this month.

Boostable

Just wanted to jump in on this thread for support on checking the junction box wiring. 3rd trip out in the new rig, good then nothing running on Gen. Checked the box and sure enough, ground came loose and one nut brittle and breaking down. Cleaned and got them back together but I will certainly be redoing them when I get back home tomorrow.

Thanks guys, this thread saved the day!!!

Jack