Banff and Jasper thoughts…first timer here!

Kblock108

Next July we are planning a trip to Glacier, then making the trek to Banff / Jasper to burn 6 days. After this we are planning to head to Jackson Hole, then the slow trip back to Southern California. I want to figure out some campgrounds that would be worth staying at, in order to see Jasper and Banff. I understand they are a nice drive away from each other, so if someone has some good park ideas in both spots. We have a 33' QB and a 22' truck, we would prefer hook ups and with a 5 year old and a 3 year old boy, dry camping would have to be at minimum :) Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is a first trip to Canada and our longest trip.

Phatkd

Feel free to PM me with contact info. I live only a couple hours from Jasper and have traveled to Jasper and Banff and the surrounding area many many times. I prefer Jasper to Banff, but only because it is smaller, and somewhat less tourist traffic. Although both are very busy in summer. I would reserve your sites ASAP as the campgrounds in the National parks fill up some times a year in advance on holiday weekends.

Any questions,..Just PM me and I will help in any way I can.

priorguy

Make a stop at peyto lake along the way. It's the most beautiful pristine body of water you'll ever see. Hope I got the spelling correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MurrayN.

We have an rv timeshare at Radium Valley Vacation Resort approx an hour south of Banff. Not cheap to stay at unless you are a RCI member, but it is probably the best campground for hours around. It is a great base for day trips, as there are many things to do within an hour's drive. The campground itself has large camp sites, full hookups, two pools, tennis, raquetteball, extremely clean, quiet nights. We love it!

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Kblock108, the Banff to Jasper trip is one of the most beautiful drives around. I'm attaching a web site to reserve a campsite in our National Parks. I don't think the reservations open up until Spring sometime. The site is www.pccamping.ca/parkscanada/en Doug

priorguy

Don't forget to visit the hit springs while in Radium. Fair not hit springs is client by as well. The Windermere valley is quite nice and lots to do in the town as well. If I recall the Kokanee brewery isn't far off from there either. I spent a year there between high school and college working at the Radium saw mill to save some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phatkd

In the Jasper are I would recommend the following;

Columbia Ice fields are a must do
http://www.banfflakelouise.com/Thin...rer-Tours/Columbia-Icefield-Glacier-Adventure

The Jasper Tramway is also a must do. We do it once or twice a year. You start at an elevation of 4279 feet above sea level, and the guide on the way up points out many interesting things (Wildlife etc..) and end at a mountain top restaurant at 7472 feet above sea level. You can also hike up to the summit (It sounds rough, but it really isn't that bad at all. Great path and lots to see).
http://www.jaspertramway.com

The maligne lake boat tour to "Spirit Island" is a must do as well in my books.
http://www.malignelake.com/act_cruise.html

Check out the miette hot springs in the Jasper area which are all great!!
http://www.pc.gc.ca/voyage-travel/sources-springs/miette/miette.aspx

Jasper as I mentioned before is a small town with awesome dinning. Check out the Jasper Park Lodge for a meal, or the Sunday Brunch is something you have not, nor ever will experience again. Truly amazing. We have rented cabins there in the past and love it. The walk around the lake takes about 1hr and is spectacular.
http://www.fairmont.com/jasper/

There are many many must do's in my opinion and I would love you to experience ALL of them. However this is just a short list of some of my personal favourites in the Jasper area.

Banff is a whole different ball of wax,..and my list would be pretty lengthy there too.

Kris

Thenomads

You will love Banff and Jasper. We went in 2003 and we would go again tomorrow! We had an SOB at the time 27' no problem staying in the national parks themselves. We stayed in both Banff and Jasper. So many beautiful things to see. The most memorable was the Columbian Ice Fields on the "bus". Also enjoyed Lake Victoria, Lake Maligne, Lake Moraine and Mt Edith Cavel. The entire country side is beautiful. We hope you have a wonderful time.
Jealous!

brianharrison

The Canadian National parks (Banff and Jasper) are limited in number of campgrounds that support long units. In Banff I would recommend the Tunnel Mountain campground, there are non serviced sites and serviced sites (book early!). I would recommend just outside of the National Parks (Kananaskis Provincial park) at a campground called Mount Kidd, or Boulton Creek in the serviced sites. Mount Kidd is managed by a private company and Boulton Creek can be reserved through www.reserve.albertaparks.ca. As well there are some OK campsites just outside the park in Canmore Alberta (such as SpringCreek).

Hope this helps,
Brian