Basic Schematics & Layouts

ncc1701e

I've tried to ask this before and usually get some smart *** answer from someone. Why is it so hard to get at least the basic general wiring and plumbing diagrams for a trailer from Heartland? We pay good money for these units and I don't think any of us are planning to go into business building trailers. I'm fairly certain that most of us just want to be able to reasonably maintain our units. All I've ever asked for is the basic of schematics and layouts for plumbing / electricals systems. The owner's manual is so general that it fits every model Heartland makes. I've looked at the manuals section on this forum and the information is not there. It really does not seem unreasonable for the factory to provide basic wiring, plumbing, and general layout drawings. I have asked and been told point blank, "We don't have them." I'm sorry guys, but I spent way to much time in a maintenance organization to believe any company would build RV's with out drawings.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Tom,

Heartland's Engineering department creates the designs and build prints. This does include schematics on plumbing and electrical sub-systems.

Customer Service has some level of access to these document for trouble shooting. The rub is that Heartland does not generally release plumbing and electrical schematics to retail customers. I'm not certain why we don't release them.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I was told by a high person with Heartland (don't want to mention his name) that a basic wiring schematic is done and then the employee doing the wiring is provided with that design. They (the wiring person) then run the wires the best they see it can be done. If a different person works on the same floorplan later they may run the wires a different way because it it easier for them. I know this sounds screwy to me but that is the reason they do not have a specific schematic for a specific floorplan according to him. In other words the basic schematic pinpoints the locations of the outlets and lights etc, but the way the wires are run to hook them up is the installers decision.

What I did to chase a wiring problem is get a tone maker (not sure the proper name). You hook it up (with the power off) to one end of whatever you are trying to find and then go to where you think the other end is and use the probe to find the right wire. When you touch the right wire you hear a tone and you know that is the other end. I found the instrument at Lowe's. Home Depot sells them also. I also got a tester that you plug into an outlet and the lights on it tell if the outlet is wired correctly. I tested all of the outlets in the rig and found two that were wired incorrectly.

Last edited:

ncc1701e

From the looks of the wiring in the unit, I completely believe that outside of an elementary diagram the installers do their own thing for sure. Even this elementary diagram in the user's manual or available to download would be a plus. After working over 40 years as an industrial maintenance setting, I've got all the toys one could imagine to build/devlope the drawings given time and it looks like this summer I'll just have to do that. I've got to have a little shoulder surgery to repair a torn muscle so we're not doing the traveling we had planned right now. After a year of asking, I'm just very disappointed in this aspect of the Heartland service. Not everyone has the toys or wants to spend money just to accomplish this. I will say, that from the panels I've opened so far there sure is a lot of waste in materials from a cost analysis standpoint not to mention the space that would / will be available to the consumer. Oh well, enough venting I think. And BTW, we had a "Keystone" Freedom Express before our Heartland 5th wheel and it is pretty much the same with their units. Go figure.

mshuping

We purchased our Heartland Sundance Travel Trailer yesterday. The first thing I am looking for is a Wiring Diragrahm. I am disapointed to read the trouble everyone is having. Maybe someone more experienced with this model can help with a quick question. Since the electrical system takes 50 amps, and I don't have a supply on my house, is there a way to run 110 direct to the 12V converter and operate 12 volt system without drawing down the battery? thanks for any advice.

jimtoo

Hi mshuping,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Your Sundance is equipped to plug into 50 amp service. 50 amp service is two 120v circuits, each on it's own 50 amp circuit breaker. Your dealer should have given you a "Starter Kit", which has sewer hose, water hose, maybe pressure regulator and usually a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter plug. (These are usually available at Walmart also) With the proper adapter you can convert your trailers 50 amp power cord to plug into a 30 amp or even into the 15 or 20 amp outlets in your house or garage with a "GOOD QUALITY" (HD) extension cord. You should be able to use anything in your Sundance except maybe the A/C. This will keep battery charged and everything operating.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

branson4020

Icantre Member
We purchased our Heartland Sundance Travel Trailer yesterday. The first thing I am looking for is a Wiring Diragrahm. I am disapointed to read the trouble everyone is having. Maybe someone more experienced with this model can help with a quick question. Since the electrical system takes 50 amps, and I don't have a supply on my house, is there a way to run 110 direct to the 12V converter and operate 12 volt system without drawing down the battery? thanks for any advice.

You can use an adapter like THIS to plug you 50A power cord right in to your regular wall outlet.