Bathroom sink and medicine cabinet

herefishy

In our 2011 BH 3055, the way the sink is situated in relation to the medicine cabinet, it is impossible to wet shave and extremely difficult to brush your teeth or wash your face. I am 5'11" and I have to bend over and put my face in the sink to avoid hitting the medicine cabinet. Any ideas to fix or circumvent this problem?

Last edited:

SilverRhino

I have had that same problem with every RV we have owned. If you think it's bad when you are 5'11"........try it when you are 6'5" :(

Are BC does not have the "bowl" sink.....don't know if that makes it better. I've actually thought about removing the medicine cabinet and just replacing it with the mirrored door. That would gain a few inches, which would really help....that is the simplest idea I have been able to come up with......maybe some of the "great minds" on the forum will have better ideas. :confused::):confused::)

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Actually we had the same problem in our previous SOB. The vessel sink was a big selling point with our Big Country purchase. Not only do we not hit our heads but there is also more counter space. This doesn't really help with your situation but depending on how far you are willing modify your current sink, it might be an option.

Best Wishes!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In our 2011 BH 3055, the way the sink is situated in relation to the medicine cabinet, it is impossible to wet shave and extremely difficult to brush your teeth or wash your face. I am 5'11" and I have to bend over and put my face in the sink to avoid hitting the medicine cabinet. Any ideas to fix or circumvent this problem?

You might be able to find a shallower cabinet at Home Depot or Lowes. If not, have a cabinet shop make one to your specs (or make your own if you have the skills). At 5'8", I haven't taken the top of my head off in the BH, but it's close. I learned to stay bent over and step back first. Habit from the restricted space in our prior TT where I learned how painful it was not to.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Would I be correct in assuming the medicine cabinet is a corner unit and it's deep enough to cause the problem you describe? I was thinking, after I saw the factory one in the San Antonio, a guy could buy a small residential cabinet and mount it on the left wall. It wouldn't be square to you as you stand at the sink but at least you would be able to bend over without worrying about bashing yer noggin.

herefishy

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is the corner unit and I guess I will replace it with something smaller.

Bob

JohnDar

jimtoo

I took cabinet off the wall and removed the 2 side panels. This pushed the cabinet back about 4-5 inches and makes the sink usable. I went to a glass shop and had 2 mirrors cut about 4" and placed on each side to cover screw holes. It requires a little work because you need to cut the shelves down also to fit the new size. I will try to find my pictures on here and post back.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You could also consider replacing it with something like this and putting a mirror on the wall where the original cabinet was. [the link was only for the picture, not a brand recommendation]

http://www.extremekitchen.net/store...abinet for bathroom&__utmv=-&__utmk=149208374
John, I believe this is the type of cabinet in herefishy's rig. It's a corner cabinet and the sink is somewhat under the front of the cabinet causing his dilemma. That's why I suggested changing it to a smaller flat type wall cabinet.

JohnDar

John, I believe this is the type of cabinet in herefishy's rig. It's a corner cabinet and the sink is somewhat under the front of the cabinet causing his dilemma. That's why I suggested changing it to a smaller flat type wall cabinet.

Ah so! I haven't seen one of those in any rig I've looked at during shows. From the diagrams on HL's website, they all looked like the standard cabinet style. Those can be a tad close to the noggin, if you're not carefull.

herefishy

I took cabinet off the wall and removed the 2 side panels. This pushed the cabinet back about 4-5 inches and makes the sink usable. I went to a glass shop and had 2 mirrors cut about 4" and placed on each side to cover screw holes. It requires a little work because you need to cut the shelves down also to fit the new size. I will try to find my pictures on here and post back.

Jim M
Jim, I would appreciate the pictures. In order to remove the cabinet, do you just have to remove the screws that are in the frame in the inside of the cabinet?