Battery Cut off switch

Capgains

Hello,

I just brought home a 2010 Road Warrior 365rw. There were no manuals or general information in the unit so I am trying to piece things together as far as understanding the various systems and locations within the vehicle. I can't seem to find the battery cut off switch. Someone told me that all toy haulers with fueling stations have to have one, but looking in the battery compartment, I can't find it. I found a great place to put one in there, but wanted to know if there is one somewhere else before I do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Additionally, does anyone know if running the generator will power the converter to charge the batteries?

Dan

danemayer

Hi Dan,

I don't know whether your rig came with a battery cutoff switch, but if it does, it's usually close to the + terminal on the battery.

As for the generator/power converter question, the short answer is Yes. Shore power and generator power are both routed to an automatic transfer switch that selects one or the other input and provides output to the circuit breaker panel. The circuit breakers are all powered regardless of power source. So everything in the coach is powered regardless of source.

The one difference between shore power and generator power is the number of watts/amps provided. Shore power 50 amp receptacles provide two 50 amp circuits, or 100 amps total/12000 watts. The generator provides two 30 amp circuits (or a 30 and a 20 on some models), for a total of 60 amps/7200 watts.

Last edited:

Jasonrs1319

My cyclone has a battery cutoff switch inside the basement inside the door side on the right wall likely in the same place up near the top of the compartment behind the level up panel if you have level up

Westwind

Enjoy your new FW! The "Tools/Hug" section of the forum has a lot of great info that you will find handy and probably more informative then some of the manuals that come with the trailer. So take some time and look it over it's been a life saver for me a couple of times.

TXTiger

The battery cutoff switch in my 2012 Cyclone 4014 is located inside the generator compartment just above the battery on the back wall.

Capgains

Thanks for your help. I have looked all over the place for this thing, in all the places mentioned as well. I have found a great place to put one in the battery compartment right onto the positive cable that connects into a header panel. I suspect that's where it should be. Thanks again, really liking this new to me unit.

wkcox

I have a RW415 and the battery cutoff switch is inside the garage on the door side of the camper. It is located in the upper right corner of the forward wall. I have all the manuals and it still doesn't talk about the switch. I have also heard that even with that switch turned off, some electricity still goes to some items such as detectors or alarms.

danemayer

I have a RW415 and the battery cutoff switch is inside the garage on the door side of the camper. It is located in the upper right corner of the forward wall. I have all the manuals and it still doesn't talk about the switch. I have also heard that even with that switch turned off, some electricity still goes to some items such as detectors or alarms.

Hi wkcox,

The battery cutoff switch should cut power to all internal devices such as detectors and alarms. It may not cut power to the emergency breakaway circuit that stops the trailer if it comes off the hitch. It also may not cut power to start the generator.

But with the cutoff switch OFF, there should be no drain on the battery.

Capgains

That's what I am trying to do. I brought the trailer home from the dealership to a storage area, and have been tending to little fixer uppers over the past three weeks. Just sitting other than putting out the slides a half a dozen times, it has drained the batteries way down. So... I know that there is something in there that is draining them. The dealership had just dropped in two new Interstate 2700 series as part of the getting it ready to leave in good shape walk through. I bet the batteries were never charged before they were put in and probably not enough time for the converter to charge them up. Solar panels are in my future. Got a great deal on this used ride, it just needs a little love.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One thing that is a constant drain on the battery is the LP Leak Detector. It's always on unless you disconnect the battery. Another possible is a digital clock on your stereo/radio. Some run off 12V and are a drain on the battery, as well. And running the slides in and out off the battery is a large drain, too.

If you're at the storage yard and need to do that, connect the trailer to your truck with the motor running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capgains

One thing that is a constant drain on the battery is the LP Leak Detector. It's always on unless you disconnect the battery. Another possible is a digital clock on your stereo/radio. Some run off 12V and are a drain on the battery, as well. And running the slides in and out off the battery is a large drain, too.

If you're at the storage yard and need to do that, connect the trailer to your truck with the motor running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this info. Good to know what the big draws are in the trailer at rest. I used the generator to bring I the slides the other day, didnt know that the power plug from the truck charges the battery as well.