Battery disconnect switch added.

CarterKraft

My Torque 290 didn't come with a battery disconnect switch from Heartland. Not a real problem but something I wanted to add so long term storage didn't cause any problems with depleting the battery.

I used a piece of scrap aluminum and a disconnect switch from HF. The switch is not the best in the world but it should be fine for the amount of current and use it will see. It can be easily bypassed if needed by stacking the cables on one of the switch studs. To connect the switch to the battery I used a premade 19" cable from the auto parts store.

Attachments

• 20140215_124223.jpg
    20140215_124223.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20140215_124346.jpg
    20140215_124346.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20140215_124507.jpg
    20140215_124507.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 84
  • 20140215_125126.jpg
    20140215_125126.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

mobilcastle

Disconnects are easy to install and keep the battery from being drained as some items pull current unless you use one. I occasionally turn on my battery with the trailer plugged into 30 amps to keep the battery charged up to full. A float charger would do the same. Batteries seem to last much longer and keep from freezing if you keep them charged up.

shurack24

One word of caution; be sure to wire the disconnect switch in such a way so that the emergency break-away switch still has power even when the cutoff switch is used. Would love to see a pic of your mod.

HornedToad

One word of caution; be sure to wire the disconnect switch in such a way so that the emergency break-away switch still has power even when the cutoff switch is used. Would love to see a pic of your mod.

I noticed my landing gear still operates off the 7 way plug with the disconnect switch I added between the battery and house off. I was going to add another switch to disable the landing gear for theft prevention. This post makes me realize that I need to make sure it doesn't also cut power to the emergency break-away. Thanks.

123camper

Just a thought--would you not want a complete disconnect from the battery when storing the tv? If some kid comes along and pull the brake switch (this happened to us. Thank goodness I always disconnect the battery. ) you will still have a dead battery and over heated brakes. Just turn the switch on when towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianharrison

Just a thought--would you not want a complete disconnect from the battery when storing the tv? If some kid comes along and pull the brake switch (this happened to us. Thank goodness I always disconnect the battery. ) you will still have a dead battery and over heated brakes. Just turn the switch on when towing.

A full disconnect, including breakaway, would be in violation of most highway safety acts if you were travelling down the road with such a complete battery disconnect operational.

My thoughts,
Brian

CarterKraft

Thanks for mentioning that! I forgot all about the break-a-way's battery and while I would likely had the switch "on" when travelling that could have caused me some grief in the future. I will likely not make any changes and just make sure the switch is "on" when traveling. So far I have been running the fridge to and from the CG so it's not a issue. I also have those "kids" living with me (part of the reason I bought it in the first place) and I know first hand what kind of trouble they can get into. I uploaded the pics from my phone to the gallery but they were formatted weird so I will redo now and attach them to the first post as I intended.

Thanks again to all that commented.

123camper

I always reconnect my battery before towing even if I don't have the frig running.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I always reconnect my battery before towing even if I don't have the frig running.

Same here. The switch is a convenience when I'm working on the rig's 12V system, or if I need to leave the battery in while at the storage yard, rather than removing it each day while working on it. Even if the power were left on, my jacks cannot be operated without the remote.