Battery disconnect

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Possibly the newer Landmarks do, but my '09 BH3670 did not. Simple matter to install one, though.

I think lack of an installed battery-disconnect switch is a real design defect of my new ElkRidge 27 RLSS (or Heartland is just being cheap). My ElkRidge has only one battery, which can't be isolated when the rig is stored. The always-on LP detector (and radio/CD system) can drain a full battery in a few days, I've installed a small 5-Watt solar panel, but rig doesn't get much direct sun. A drained battery means the alarm/security system the dealer sold me (which also draws power) is obviously useless. No reason an LP detector has to be on when the rig is stored and propane tanks are turned off. Tomorrow I'm installing a battery cut-off. But Heartland could have saved us all a lot of trouble! Since I don't dry-camp, I'm not sure I need to invest in installing a second battery. Except for that, we love our new ElkRidge, bought January 31. Heartland has been quick to authorize warranty work, and our dealer (Giant RV in Corona, California) has been great to work with.

JohnDar

What, you don't know how to use a 1/2" box wrench to remove a battery cable while in storage? If the LP detectors had switches, there would probably a few more exploding RV's out there due to forgetful owners not turning them back on. I believe code requires they not be switched.

Installing a cut-off switch takes all of about 15 minutes.

View attachment 18657

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have wing nuts that hold the battery cables on. We disconnect the battery and take it with us when we drop the rig at the storage lot.

E

Thanks for comments. Owners Forum is a great feature. ElkRidge-27 battery sits in a recessed box, so hard to lift out. I now have a battery-isolating switch. The alarm is never isolated, and it draws only 20 milAmps, which I make to be about 15 amps per month!

jw56947

I just purchased a 2013 North Trail 24RBS which does not have a cut-off switch. Where would be the best place to mount a switch to protect it from the elements? I don't want to start drilling too many holes.
What, you don't know how to use a 1/2" box wrench to remove a battery cable while in storage? If the LP detectors had switches, there would probably a few more exploding RV's out there due to forgetful owners not turning them back on. I believe code requires they not be switched.

Installing a cut-off switch takes all of about 15 minutes.

View attachment 18657

JohnDar

I just purchased a 2013 North Trail 24RBS which does not have a cut-off switch. Where would be the best place to mount a switch to protect it from the elements? I don't want to start drilling too many holes.

I'm assuming your battery is in a box out on the tongue of the trailer, right? If it is, you could trace one of the cables back into the trailer near the fuse panel and mount it there. Or easier still, is to get the cut-off switch that mounts to the battery terminal itself. Some look like a knife switch, others are a rotary type gizmo.

This is one example of the knife switch type. You can search RV parts suppliers for them.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/battery-disconnect-switches/p2006121.jcwx?filterid=c926u0j1

jw56947

Thanks for the help. Looks like I will have to mount it on the tongue of the trailer next to the battery box. Not enough room inside at the fuse panel.
I'm assuming your battery is in a box out on the tongue of the trailer, right? If it is, you could trace one of the cables back into the trailer near the fuse panel and mount it there. Or easier still, is to get the cut-off switch that mounts to the battery terminal itself. Some look like a knife switch, others are a rotary type gizmo.

This is one example of the knife switch type. You can search RV parts suppliers for them.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/battery-disconnect-switches/p2006121.jcwx?filterid=c926u0j1

ynot

I would like to install a battery disconnect switch on my NT, are some types better than others or is it just personal preference?

evolvingpowercat

I used a 300 Amp quarter turn switch, purchased from Amazon.com for under $ 10. Handle comes out when switch is in off position, comes with 1 extra handle in case some jerk turned it off and took the handle in some worst case scenario.

In my case I put the switch to take battery current to zero during storage in the negative lead to chassis ground lead of the parallel batteries, in case someone wondered about the label next to the switch.

bco.jpg

ynot

Thanks Randy,

Does it matter if you connect the battery cutoff on the positive or negative lead?

Tony

evolvingpowercat

> Thanks Randy,

> Does it matter if you connect the battery cutoff on the positive or negative lead?

> Tony

No it does not matter your switch just has to be in series with all current flow on one side or the other.
It was easier for me to wire the switch in the single ground wire to the chassis from the battery boxes, because I had the inverter power run off the + on one battery and the power panel run off the + lug on the other, with a jumper between them and I did not want to re-work it.

Also Heartland had left a lot of slack in the white ground line to the chassis so I could just break that and add the cutoff switch without buying a hunk of wire.

Update had to remove my drawing the Heartland Server was butchering it.

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to bypass your battery switch with the wire that powers the break away switch and run it direct to the battery. In the rare event you might start towing without turning on the power your break away switch will still be powered up if needed...Don

evolvingpowercat

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to bypass your battery switch with the wire that powers the break away switch and run it direct to the battery. In the rare event you might start towing without turning on the power your break away switch will still be powered up if needed...Don

Yes, you are correct it would be more fool proof if the trailer brakes and breakaway switch were hot and ready to pull current even with the battery switch in the off position. I wonder how Heartland does the factory battery switches in the units that come with? I bet they did theirs just like I did mine other than they likely put their switch in the positive side rather than the negative side.

Yes I agree that I have to have my battery switch in the on position to safely tow so the breakaway switch can operate from the RV battery system. Personally I have added the step to "make sure battery switch is on" to my towing check list, and "make sure battery switch is off" to my storage check list.