Battery Goes dead over night

TeJay

Glad you finally solved your problem. As was indicated in earlier posts checking the voltage at the battery while plugged into shore power would have revealed that you were not in fact getting charging voltage from the converter. Your solution was illusive and difficult to get the information. I had the same problem: plugged into shore power, no charging voltage but everything electrical in the camper was working. My problem was somewhat simple. The battery disconnect switch was activated. I've never had a disconnect switch before and nobody told me anything about it on the PDI. If the disconnect is activated and you are plugged in everything electrical will work but you will get no charging voltage from the converter to the camper battery. If you disconnect from shore power nothing in the camper electrical will work. The switch is down near the floor but at the entrance so it must have gotten bumped. I checked every CB, fuse that I could find but found nothing. I even talked to a tech at the dealer and still no ideas. I finally on a whim hit the switch and presto battery charging voltage at the battery.

It's really to bad that the TT industry is so lacking when it comes to electrical wiring diagrams and specifics regarding electrical issues, hook-ups etc. There are many, many, many electrical issues discussed on these forums.
TeJay

BruteForce

No one ever uses a funace on battery power! It will run about 15 minutes????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I take the 5th wheel out all year round and run the furnace 24x7. On battery only, and if no interior/exterior lights are on, I can usually go overnight without firing the generator -- that's with temp set at around 68F interior. I just came back from a trip where our overnight temps were 12F.. furnace ran fine on battery until around 7am, upon which the batteries were very drained.

Edited to add: I'm running 2x 12volt RV batteries.

evolvingpowercat

On my Heartland Edge, I can go between 2 weeks off shore power in storage mode starting with fully charged battery before the battery is some where less than 50% and over 20% charge left if you don't cut off the battery from the RV load center, if you have all lights and fans off and the only load is the things you can't shut off without pulling fuses. I disconnect the battery in storage mode then the 12 volt batteries last months without losing much charge. This is with two group 24 marine batteries wired in parallel (about 170 amp-hours together).

By the way, you greatly reduce the life of your battery if you deep cycle it from 100% down to less than 50% it can be drained down to 20% but if you size your batteries so you only need to regularly drain to 50% vs. 20% that maximized the life.

Of course dry camping where lights, furnace, fans are being used will cut way down from a week to less depending on how much 12 volt power you use.

Where is the battery charge going when you shut everything you can off and battery is not cut off?

- the refrigerator control board in LP gas mode, 0.10 Amp
- the refrigerator control board with fridge off, 0.04 Amp
- the Propane "near floor" detector and the Jensen Audio, 0.16 Amp together (both on same fuse never tried to figure out what the split is)

Last edited: