Battery is not charging while hooked to shore power.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
HELP! :eek: We are on our way home and the 12v functions are getting dim. The battery does not seem to be charging off of the shore power. I can hook to the TV and everything works fine and the battery will charge. I would leave it hooked up but I don't want to drain the TV battery and the neighbors may not like listening to the DURAMAX all night. But seriously does anyone have any suggestions? I can't find a blown fuze and all connections are tight.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

jnbhobe

If you can find the converter behind the breaker box there are 3 - 30 amp fuses on the front of it. They may be blown and that may be your problem.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things I would check. Check to be sure that the converter is still plugged in and also check the fuses on the converter itself.
Or if may have just died. But there is a two year limited warranty.
Here is a link to Progressive Dynamics trouble shooting guide.

Peace
Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

Check the circuit breaker on the ac circuit breaker. AlSo check the grounds and other connection. Circuit breaker on the pole working? Try resetting it. Dead battery? Low water in. Battery? Good luck.

jnbhobe

In a pinch you can hook up a battery charger to your battery to get you thru till you can find the problem.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
If there's a Walmart nearby, you can get a smart battery charger for around $50.

That's the fix I used. Walmart was a mile down the road. I'll take it to the dealer when I get home.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Well guys and gals, it's the converter. Got to the Branson KOA this afternoon and hooked to shore power, turned on the 12v light in the front compartment and unhooked the battery. The light went out and the multimeter shows no charge. Now the trick is to find it. I've been thru the front pulling panels in the basement and it's not there. Gotta find it LOL. Right now I've got the battery charger hooked up and will look some more tomorrow.

pegmikef

Wouldn't it be nice if HL gave us a little documentation? At least you have been able to isolate the problem. Different subject. How did your uncle make out with his va claim? PM me if you want me to give him any info. Mike

jnbhobe

It should be real close to the breaker box and fuse panel. You can usually see it by pulling out the breaker box but you may not be able to reach it.

Northern Virginia
Double check the 20 amp breaker for the converter by turning it off then back on. Double check that the converter is plugged in and also check the 3 fuses on the converter itself.

Good luck,

John

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Wouldn't it be nice if HL gave us a little documentation? At least you have been able to isolate the problem. Different subject. How did your uncle make out with his va claim? PM me if you want me to give him any info. Mike

Click the Tool tab at the top of the page and select HOM-Heartland Owners Manuals. You'll find all of the Progressive manuals under Converters in the Electrical section.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Update: The converter just went bad. Dealer has replaced it already. They still have it trying to stop the door side living room slide from leaking and getting the carpet wet while driving and the bedroom slide leaks when it's out during a downpour. I wish they would hurry up, got a trout stream just calling my name.

lrichards

Does anyone know at what amps the HL charger provides to re charge the 12V battery when plugged in to 110V shore power?

branson4020

Icantre Member
The converter may be anything from 45 to 75A depending on the coach. In any case, the maximum possible charging current to the batteries is 50A, because there is a 50A DC circuit breaker between the converter and the battery. Unless you really beef up your battery pack, your unlikely to ever approach that.