Battery life

My 2010 Bighorn has the 2 original 12 volt batteries. This spring is the first time they seem weak, wouldn't put out slides when not plugged in. I can't believe they have lasted this long. We have always kept the RV plugged into an outlet in the shop when not in use. I'm shopping new batteries and would like some suggestions. I'm reading that you should not leave the RV plugged in but they have lasted forever doing this. Does the RV use a battery maintainer that doesn't over charge being plugged in for months at a time? Any info on battery life would be greatly appreciated. Also what battery would you buy? Thanks Terry

wdk450

The Progressive Dynamics 9000 series of microprocessor-controlled converter/chargers have a monitoring and charging special program called the "Charge Wizard". Included in the Charge Wizard's programming is a special mode that it goes into every 21 hours for 15 minutes, called the "Equalization mode". This applies 14.4 volts to the battery system to reverse usual lead acid battery sulphation that ends battery usefullness.
See: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/ Be sure to read the last sentence of the 1st paragraph.

Based on this, I would advise you to keep your rig plugged in for the converter/charger to do its good work. I have been fulltiming about 8 years now with the Bighorn plugged at every site, and have only had to replace 1 of my 4 batteries in that time. The batteries get their biggest workout every moving day (every 3 weeks) bringing the slides in, raising the front of the trailer to hitch it to the truck, lifting the trailer off the truck at the destination, and moving the slides back out.

david-steph2018

My 2010 Bighorn has the 2 original 12 volt batteries. This spring is the first time they seem weak, wouldn't put out slides when not plugged in. I can't believe they have lasted this long. We have always kept the RV plugged into an outlet in the shop when not in use. I'm shopping new batteries and would like some suggestions. I'm reading that you should not leave the RV plugged in but they have lasted forever doing this. Does the RV use a battery maintainer that doesn't over charge being plugged in for months at a time? Any info on battery life would be greatly appreciated. Also what battery would you buy? Thanks Terry
Some night time reading material:

This will give you some information about batteries.

Daley07

Some tips you can extend your RV batteries’ lifespan. You might want to check your electric appliances and devices that draw power even with your RV engine turned off. Use a different battery for running various equipment to avoid draining your RV battery. Examples of RV items that can draw battery power are clocks, pumps, radios, smoke detectors, fridges, antennas, propane gas detectors, and RV control stations. It would be best to have power strips for each device so you to switch them off when not in use.

Last edited:

roy2

id use the same kind of batterys you have there now they lasted this long.luckly you had good service with them.