Battery Management

TwoGypsies

I just read the 'refer on' thread and again noted several people monitoring and adding distilled water to their batteries. We've had our rig nearly continuously plugged in since May of 2011 (and in near constant use). I finally added a small amount of water in December of 2011 and am just thinking now about checking it again. Is this a bigger issue when stored for long periods & plugged in? Ours will be parked in November for its first significant 'storage experience'.
Thanks for your input.

TeJay

There are a lot of variables when considering how one is to service and maintain their unit batteries. First of all it is not absolutely necessary to use distilled water. It is a good idea to eliminate one of those variables which are the minerals and contaminates that might be in ordinary tap water. For 30 plus years I use ordinary tap water but it had few minerals in it and never seemed to reduce the life of the batteries. Ever been in a house that had brown marks in the sinks where the iron rich water dripped in the sink??? That's the water I would not use in a battery. Now how do you know that you actually have good clean mineral free distilled water??? I don't know. So do what you can with the water issue. Next. Your batteries should do OK with continues service. Truckers do it with their 18-wheelers, which are in almost continues service. But that also depends on your converter and it's charge rate while the batteries are in service. An intelligent charger/converter will vary it's rate depending on the current being drawn from the batteries. That factor is dependent on the quality of your converter. We can assume that if you have a well built quality rig then the converter should be of good quality also. It is very important to make sure the water level is maintained. Battery plates that are exposed to air will deteriorate and become useless.

TeJay

pegmikef

Checking battery water was a routine part of PM in the Army and old habits die hard so I check mine at least once a month (more often when it is hot) and top them off as needed. I also check the terminals to make sure they are tight and corrosion free.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I'm sure glad I found this thread today. I checked the batteries (2x6v) and the water/acid was barely covering the plates in both. I learned quickly how big each cell is by the amount of water it took to top them off.
The battery status lights are showing full charge but I'm guessing it won't hurt to leave the unit plugged into the house for a couple days.
Tomorrow I'm going in search of the converter to see just what is managing those batteries.
Thanks again for bringing up a very important routine maintenance item!

porthole

Retired
Look in the basement on the door side. Find a pie plate access cover with a vented panel above it. The converter should be behind that panel.
The pie plate gives access to the plug.
Your converter should be one of the "smart" versions.

TwoGypsies

Reading on other forums, it appears lots of folks suffer converter & charging problems. I haven't even looked at my converter and didn't know where it was. Yesterday's water check showed I was down a small amount after 6 months. Heartland appears to have provided an excellent converter from a charge management perspective. It seems this is one of the 'quieter' advantages for Heartland.
I'm going to schedule quarterly checks in my phone; seems safe after running 6 months twice now.

porthole

Retired
First of all it is not absolutely necessary to use distilled water. It is a good idea to eliminate one of those variables which are the minerals and contaminates that might be in ordinary tap water. For 30 plus years I use ordinary tap water but it had few minerals in it and never seemed to reduce the life of the batteries.

Kind of a misnomer there.
Distilled water is the best choice. Will tap or well water work, sure will. I never worked in a service shop or dealership that used distilled water for batteries. Most guys never even used a battery filler, just old anti freeze bottles or a hose. Ever wonder why most batteries are now maintenance free, or minimal maintenance?

I worked for a Caterpillar fork lift division for awhile, and the electric trucks had huge 36 volt batteries. And we used distilled water in those - not tap.
On our boats, with 175 pound, hard to get to, expensive group D batteries we use distilled water.
On the golf cart with six expensive 6-volt batteries I use distilled.

On the cheap battery that came with the trailer I use the hose. That has since been replace with 6-volt AGM batteries.

Point is, if you have expensive, quality batteries, distilled water is cheap and proper. Distilled is also proper on the cheap starting batteries used, but the odds are the battery will go bad for other reason before tap water causes an issue.

The proper level is critical now matter what the electrolyte is.

Truckers do it with their 18-wheelers, which are in almost continues service.

Can't compare. OTR trucks could have 2-4 8D batteries, starting batteries, not deep cycle.

We use our trailers in a whole different way.

eddylives

Tractor trailers use a combination of regular starting and deep cycle battery's now days , there are so many items running off battery power while shut down they have to , regular battery's do not tolerate deep discharges very well. I have a pair of transport battery's to put into service some time and they are deep cycle (they were changed out when there was a failure as a group) They are massive though lol but free is nice too

porthole

Retired
Tractor trailers use a combination of regular starting and deep cycle battery's now days , there are so many items running off battery power while shut down they have to , regular battery's do not tolerate deep discharges very well. I have a pair of transport battery's to put into service some time and they are deep cycle (they were changed out when there was a failure as a group) They are massive though lol but free is nice too

How do the trucks manage different battery types?
Battery types, age and capacities need to be similar to work properly.

TeJay

I am not a trucker. I believe that the number of independent owner operators is much fewer than in past years. Since the trucks are company owned the drivers do what they can do to maintain their batteries or what the company requires of them. They accept the charging system and batteries that are installed on their rigs, head down the road and let the company worry about battery life.

TeJay

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Look in the basement on the door side. Find a pie plate access cover with a vented panel above it. The converter should be behind that panel.
The pie plate gives access to the plug.
Your converter should be one of the "smart" versions.

Your directions took me right to it!
Thank you