BC 2950 rk with a 09duramax 3500

This is a note to thank everyone for helping me on my recent post. I think I have come to a conclusion, the dually is out for drivability issues and I am just not comfortable-I would likely be replacing fenders. Due to my weight concerns I would consider a 3500 extended cab/ long box, it gives me about 400 lbs of additional pay load. I was out driving around today and the majority of tow rigs for the full profile FW were 2500's. while I am most likely going to purchase a Big Country with 88 degree radius the long box gives me capacity for an additional fuel tank/tool box. A long box is not my preference but I can probably get used to it. Only 19.1 inches larger. Some say the fifth wheel tows better on a long box versus a short box.
P.S. Do I lose something moving to a 3500? MPG, Ride, etc
Again, thanks for all the help
Big country GVWR 14,000-dry 10,225 hitch 2285

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
priestlake, the only thing you lose is cargo capacity and a some stability. You really don't notice the stability difference unless you've gone from a 2500 up to a 3500. That's when the increase in stability is evident. MPG should be the same and maybe a bit better. Ride should be better.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
priestlake, I do think you will lose a little mpg if you go from a 2500 to a 3500. How much I don't know. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the 2500 has a 3.73:1 rear axle gearing while the 3500 has a 4.11:1. The gearing is part of what makes a 3500 a 3500.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the 3.73 in my long bed F350 Ford. It all depends on how the dealer orders it.

bill40

Hi Priestlake,
My 3500 has a 3.73 rear and we have no problem pulling our 3500RL. Our mpg without the Banks on is 17 local and 20 highway, with the Banks on it is much better.
The dully does create some parking problems but I need the excerise so I always park at the far end of Lowes parking lot (wife is not happy with that). Like the Banks system dullies are a personal thing. If I had a smaller 5er and needed a new truck I probably look at the 2500. I don't think you will go wrong with a single axle long bed.

Enjoy Bill

Ratowns

Hey,
I have a 2005 Dually, duramax and I'm getting about 16 1/2 MPG driving locally to and from work which is about 8 miles away. I've not gotten on the road with the dually as of yet. Just pulling the Landmark around the campground (changing sites) I'm glad I opted for the dually. I feel more comfortable towing my camper.
Thanks,
Ron

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Can't say there's any "driveability" problems with the 3500 Dually. It handles just fine, whether I'm towing or "getting groceries" with it. I use the lower mirrors to keep an eye on the rear fenders when backing or going to the fast food drive-thru, but no problems. If the camper mirrors, in retracted position, will fit, the fenders will too. Backing into parking spaces is not a problem, either. Just have to remember the truck is longer than any econo-rice burner and adjust your turning accordingly. Driving large fire trucks for many years may have given me an advantage in manuevering big vehicles, but your money, your choice.

jnbhobe

Hey Dave; For max GVW on a chevy 3500 or ford F-350 you have to get 4:10 gears. 3:73's are standard duty. Jon ;) ;) ;)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey Dave; For max GVW on a chevy 3500 or ford F-350 you have to get 4:10 gears. 3:73's are standard duty. Jon ;) ;) ;)
The only gearing available for GM is 3:73 with the Duramax/ Allison Combo. Unless they made it available for 2008 or 2009

jnbhobe

Maybe I'm wrong . My fleet salesmen told me I could order 4:10's from ford and chevy national fleet. I havn't called natoinal fleet to be sure. Jon :confused: :confused: :confused:

Boca_Shuffles

My old 2006 2500 Duramax got 16-17 mpg unloaded, my new 3500 Duramax dually gets 19 mpg.

You only get about 700 lbs increase in GVWR with a single 3500. If you fill up that extra tank you plan on adding, the increased cargo capacity will be decreased.

If you don't normally break your towing mirrors off your truck, you can drive a dually. If you extend your mirrors out, this will increase your "practice experience".

A dually is no wider than your trailer.

Just some points to ponder.