Bearing repack cost

Garypowell

Last summer had disk brakes put on my Bighorn 3010RE. Then we put on 6,000 miles during the summer/fall. I am probably a little too conservative but decided to have the 4 bearing repacked by my usually independent place. Always great service and fair prices. But they do simply charge by the hour....no standard prices.

So this repacking cost me an extra $200 because they said they have to remove the calipers to do the work. I think I can envision this but just wanted to double check that this was a necessary part of the procedure?

I'd love to repack my own.....but the weight of the wheel simply makes this impossible.

Thanks,

mlpeloquin

Last summer had disk brakes put on my Bighorn 3010RE. Then we put on 6,000 miles during the summer/fall. I am probably a little too conservative but decided to have the 4 bearing repacked by my usually independent place. Always great service and fair prices. But they do simply charge by the hour....no standard prices.

So this repacking cost me an extra $200 because they said they have to remove the calipers to do the work. I think I can envision this but just wanted to double check that this was a necessary part of the procedure?

I'd love to repack my own.....but the weight of the wheel simply makes this impossible.

Thanks,

Yes the calipers do have to be removed in order to repack the bearings.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired

Thanks,
Yes, the calipers have to be removed so that the disk/hub can be removed. The caliper physically holds the two brake pads on both sides of the disc . If you do have the bearings repacked, you should also ask that they check the disc for cracks, warpage, unusual wear/gouges, and heat damage.

RoadJunkie

Whoa, cowboy! I'm curious as to why there should be any increase in price over drum brakes. In my opinion, removing the calipers is a two bolt removal process and should not add $50 per wheel. I would think about talking him down on that estimate.

pegmikef

Whoa, cowboy! I'm curious as to why there should be any increase in price over drum brakes. In my opinion, removing the calipers is a two bolt removal process and should not add $50 per wheel. I would think about talking him down on that estimate.

Well, I am going to find out in a month or so, because I too have added disc brakes. I know my place goes by the quarter hour plus any parts (i.e, races) and it has typically cost me between 150 and 175. I have absolute trust in trailer fabrication shop where my trailer is serviced (not an RV dealer).

Bogie

What RoadJunkie said X2. Removing and replacing calipers is a minor inconvenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

The only thing about drum and disc repacking is that with a drum brake some will remove spindle nut and with rolling jack remove wheel and drum, do a quick wipe out of hub, repack bearings and install back in hub with new seal and put it back on spindle. One quick operation of about .5 hour per wheel. With disc brakes it's remove wheel from disc, remove disc brake caliper, remove spindle nut and hand remove hub and disc. Then it's wipe out hub and repack bearings. Then reverse operation, so it's about twice the time with disc brakes if the shop uses the jack as I mentioned above.

Jim M

Garypowell

Thanks everyone! Obviously there is a difference in opinion on the timeframe..... I always wish I could be a little better prepared when this happens. I have never seen it mentioned in the site when others have gone to disc brakes.

Best,

mlpeloquin

The only thing about drum and disc repacking is that with a drum brake some will remove spindle nut and with rolling jack remove wheel and drum, do a quick wipe out of hub, repack bearings and install back in hub with new seal and put it back on spindle. One quick operation of about .5 hour per wheel. With disc brakes it's remove wheel from disc, remove disc brake caliper, remove spindle nut and hand remove hub and disc. Then it's wipe out hub and repack bearings. Then reverse operation, so it's about twice the time with disc brakes if the shop uses the jack as I mentioned above.

Jim M

The caliper has to be supported and not hung by the flexible break line. If this cannot be done, then flex break line clamped and disconnected. Reinstalled, break line reinstalled and then bleed the small amount of air out.

jimtoo

The caliper has to be supported and not hung by the flexible break line. If this cannot be done, then flex break line clamped and disconnected. Reinstalled, break line reinstalled and then bleed the small amount of air out.

I have never seen a caliper that could not be supported by a small chain or coat hanger or piece of wire to the frame or spring or even just laying it on the leaf spring.

Titanguy

I have never seen a caliper that could not be supported by a small chain or coat hanger or piece of wire to the frame or spring or even just laying it on the leaf spring.

My installers do this all the time. We just lay the caliper on the springs.
As for cost, $280 including new bearings and seals.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired

Ks.Kev

Good info here.......

I have a 2013 NT 22 FBS, how do I find out which axle I have - Dexter or Lippert?

Thanks!