Beaver Lake Ark to Lake Quachita Ark

fritzwell

I'm planning a trip for this coming Aug from Beaver Lake to Lake Quachita Ark. I've made the trip to Beaver many times, but this will be the first to Quachita. The plan at this point is to take 62 South and jump on 540 North of Fayetteville, 540 South and pick-up 71 South of Fort Smith, 71 to Y City where I'll pick-up 270 and take it into Crystal Springs RV campground at Quachita.

Question being, is there a better route for pulling a 37' 5th Wheel ? I've attempted to find vertical clearance info on the Arkansas DOT site but haven't found any helpful info as of yet.
I really don't want to go through Little Rock, but if it's only safe way then I guess it's Little Rock.

Thanks, F Criswell

teasac69

I used to live in that area in Springdale, AR and now in east TX so we still travel that road quite often.
Your route is good. I think they may have changed that interstate number from Fayetteville to Ft Smith to I-49. The plan is to complete that interstate highway from Kansas City through Arkansas and all the way down to Lafayette, LA

Whatever the number take it south to I-40 just east of Van Buren and follow 540 south through Ft Smith. Start to look for the US Hwy 71 South exit (should be exit 11 or 12) Then head south to Y City and pickup 270. Both 71 & 270 are good roads, smooth blacktop and only 2 lane, speed limit 55, fairly busy roads.

travel safe, enjoy the drive.

Hwy 71 is good road albeit crooked. Nothing too tight for your rig. Big trucks use this route constantly. There are a few passing lanes to relieve the build up but not many. Just be patient and enjoy the view.

There is actually a new route labeled I-49 south of I-40 that you take Ark 59 south and turn onto I-49 but it's turning off 540 and I haven't done that since it is new road may not be fully complete. Since you are talking later in year, you might get some more feedback from someone if that southern area of I-49 is complete and ready. I have not driven it. I've driven that other road probably 50-75 times over the last 30 years.

fritzwell

Thanks teasac69, that route looked good on Google Earth, but first hand experience is always best.

Thanks again