Bedroom TV question

Boozecamp

For those that have my rig (rig in signature), can anyone provide me the fundamental steps to getting the TV to pick up OTA local channels?
I've had this 5er for several months, been in different locations and can't get any channels. Unless that darn snowy screen is a channel! LOL.
I'm thinking it's got to be something I'm doing wrong, cuase others in the campground are picking up local signals/channels.
BTW: we are getting Winegard Pathway II SAT TV fine in the living area. I just want to get OTA local channels in the bedroom and maybe in the basement.
Dish sold me a 'digital OTA Dongle' thangy, so i could "supposedly", bring in HD OTA local channels thru my Dish Receiver, but that doesn't work either. :confused:
Help for dummy on this particuly 5er is greatly appreciated. :cool:

danemayer

Hi Boozecamp,

1. Raise the antenna
  2. Rotate the handle so the antenna points toward where you think the stations may be.
  3. If you're not sure, check other RVs to see what they're doing.
  4. Find the signal booster in the bedroom, either near the bedroom TV connection or in the closet. Turn the signal booster ON. (ON for OTA TV, OFF for cable). A red light should illuminate on the booster.
  5. Go to the TV and set input to TV/Cable.
  6. On the TV menu, select AIR or ANTENNA (as opposed to Cable)
  7. On the TV menu, do an AUTO SCAN to find local TV channels.
  8. If results are poor and the TV has a signal strength indicator, rotate the antenna handle to get a stronger signal.
  9. Redo the AUTO SCAN.

If you're still not getting any signals:

• Check the coax connector on the roof antenna to make sure the crimp is ok (doesn't seem loose) and there are no obvious strands of shield touching the center conductor.
  • Check the connections on the back side of the signal booster. Be careful to not short anything against the power connection or you'll blow a fuse in the main fuse box.
  • If still no signal, remove the antenna handle from the ceiling and fish around for the coax. There's a barrel connector that ties together the coax from the roof and the coax going to the signal booster.

And of course you need to be in a location that will receive TV signals.

Boozecamp

Hi Boozecamp,

1. Raise the antenna
  2. Rotate the handle so the antenna points toward where you think the stations may be.
  3. If you're not sure, check other RVs to see what they're doing.
  4. Find the signal booster in the bedroom, either near the bedroom TV connection or in the closet. Turn the signal booster ON. (ON for OTA TV, OFF for cable). A red light should illuminate on the booster.
  5. Go to the TV and set input to TV/Cable.
  6. On the TV menu, select AIR or ANTENNA (as opposed to Cable)
  7. On the TV menu, do an AUTO SCAN to find local TV channels.
  8. If results are poor and the TV has a signal strength indicator, rotate the antenna handle to get a stronger signal.
  9. Redo the AUTO SCAN.

If you're still not getting any signals:

• Check the coax connector on the roof antenna to make sure the crimp is ok (doesn't seem loose) and there are no obvious strands of shield touching the center conductor.
  • Check the connections on the back side of the signal booster. Be careful to not short anything against the power connection or you'll blow a fuse in the main fuse box.
  • If still no signal, remove the antenna handle from the ceiling and fish around for the coax. There's a barrel connector that ties together the coax from the roof and the coax going to the signal booster.

And of course you need to be in a location that will receive TV signals.

so if i understand you correctly, the scanning for TV channels is done via the TV (TV Remote), not thru the SAT Reveiver Remote.

danemayer

so if i understand you correctly, the scanning for TV channels is done via the TV (TV Remote), not thru the SAT Reveiver Remote.

Yes, scanning is on the TV - but that if the TV is connected to the antenna directly.

I should have mentioned that there needs to be a coax cable from antenna/cable connection on the wall plate, to the coax input on the TV.

After you get it working normally, you can introduce the complication of routing the antenna wire/signal through the satellite receiver and figuring out what additional steps are necessary to get the local channels to show up on the satellite receiver guide and on the TV.