Best A/C Unit For The Bedroom

All input would be GREATLY APRECIATED! I am about to install a 13,500 low profile a/c unit in our bedroom. I would like everyone's input as to what kind they have found to be the best. Please include the brand, how many fan speeds, how quiet it runs, and ease of install. Please pass any information along even if you did not install it yourself. It's getting pretty warm here in Arizona and I'm going to be placing a order for a new unit in the next 2 weeks. Thank You. Ken

dbbls59

Be sure and get one that is connected to the ceiling duct for the AC. When I bought my BC it did not have a front AC. I told the dealer I wanted one and he put in the cheapest one he had. It is not ducted.

I'm not sure that I want to connect it to the ductwork. I can shut down the bigger unit in the living/kitchen area so that it will not send much air into the front of the unit. This way I can have the option of shutting down the one in the living area while we sleep and have it cool in the bedroom. Also, I'm not sure that you can put a Ducted Unit in the bedroom. I may be wrong and I'm looking for any and all suggestions. Thank You for your reply!

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
We ordered the bedroom AC in our new 2014 3875FB, and it is ducted. We like it because we can cool down the kitchen/living room area and then turn off the back AC and turn on the bedroom AC to keep the area cool. This reduces the noise in the living room area. Our 2006 Big Horn had an after market AC in the bedroom and it was not vented and only cooled the bedroom area. I was also told by the factory that an AC added in the bedroom after the coach is completed will not be vented. I did not investigate that info so I do not know if it is correct. Should be easy to verify by asking a dealer's tech.

jimtoo

I'm not sure ,,, but don't think you can connect any of the units below a 2014 model to the duct system from the bedroom a/c.

Birchwood

Make sure your A/C is boxed in from the attic.If its not you may get a sewer smell coming in from the vent pipes.

Westwind

There are some new Rv AC's on the market that are quieter and more efficient then what Heartland is using on their units so do your homework and get out there and check before you buy. Mine is a run of the mill low profile, 13,500 K and it is loud and noisy. Especially if it is direct vented. If you have the duct work you are lucky, it will help but a quieter AC will help more.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/coleman-mach-8.htm

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/display.php?id=73

http://rvdailyreport.com/products/rv-products-introduces-new-low-profile-ac-system/

Gary521

I have a Dometic low profile. The unit was self installed and it was extremely easy to do this. To get the unit on the roof, I put up two ladders and had a friend help me hoist it up. They weigh about 90 lbs or so. I do not suggest trying to connect to any existing duct work. Are they noisy? Yes. However, they work and I do not use it at night, so noise is not an issue. At night, the other AC has enough umph to keep the entire unit comfortable

Gary521

There are a couple of different types in that one cycles the fan on and off and one runs the fan constantly. Get the one that cycles the fan. I am not sure but the ones with the wall thermostat do, I think.

An update. I have purchased a Atwood Air Command RV Air Conditioner. From what I have read and have heard from differant service persons, this is one of the most efficiant and quietest units on the market. I think I got a pretty good deal. $675.56 for the Non Ducted unit as well as the Ceiling unit. It comes with everything to intsall, bolts, gasket, ect. the price includes shipping to Mesa AZ and insurance. I have a fork lift to use to get it up on the roof so I believe the install should go well. I'll keep you updated. It should arrive the first week of June!

jbeletti

An update. I have purchased a Atwood Air Command RV Air Conditioner. From what I have read and have heard from differant service persons, this is one of the most efficiant and quietest units on the market....

Ken - I saw the Atwood unit at the Louisville show last year. They bought I think a European company that makes them. Anyway, I asked the salesman what make it different and he gave me a run through. I was impressed with it. Love to hear your feedback once you get it installed and use it.

pegmikef

I'm not sure ,,, but don't think you can connect any of the units below a 2014 model to the duct system from the bedroom a/c.

You are right Jim, that is why I am in the dilemma I have now. None of us (dealer, techs, other RV'rs) realized that the early 2014s had the duct work, so of course I had bought the wrong ceiling assembly. There were no 2014s on the lot yet as mine was built very early in the year. After almost a year of using it I am now trying to chase down a ducted ceiling assembly and thermostat. I have the Coleman Mach 8.

Stinger381

I just added a Dometic Brisk Air II with a ductless interior unit. I like it a lot. Yes it is loud and the fan runs constantly. I'm ok with this arrangement as before I had a fan running all the time anyway trying to cool the bedroom.

The one thing you might want to ask Heartland about is the wiring. I found thermostat wires in my attic along with the 12/2 Romex. You might be able to tie in a ductless unit with the main thermostat for better temp control in the coach. Just my two cents. My main unit is a carrier that is no longer made so I don't know if that would have even been possible with my setup.

cruzer076

An update. I have purchased a Atwood Air Command RV Air Conditioner. From what I have read and have heard from differant service persons, this is one of the most efficiant and quietest units on the market. I think I got a pretty good deal. $675.56 for the Non Ducted unit as well as the Ceiling unit. It comes with everything to intsall, bolts, gasket, ect. the price includes shipping to Mesa AZ and insurance. I have a fork lift to use to get it up on the roof so I believe the install should go well. I'll keep you updated. It should arrive the first week of June!

How did you install go? Do you have any pictures? Also where did you pick up the unit from?