Best Floorplan 2011-2013?

As stated in my other thread, we are prospective owners and looking at used coaches, 2011-13 model years. So far, we have only been in a San Antonio floor plan and liked it a lot, particularly all of the storage. I am curious as to which floorplans are most popular and why you chose yours. In looking at the 2013 brochure, they only one I don't think I would like is the Rushmore. There seem to be a lot of Key Largos for sale. They appear to have no nightstand with the king bed (we need at least a small one) and less drawer space in the bedroom. King bed is a must for us.

We are used to a split bath plan in our class A, but it is probably not a deal breaker. I am curious about the corner shower. Is it wider than the rectangular shower? My husband is broad shouldered and the shower in the San Antonio is doable for him, but not as wide as our current neo angle shower. Which floorplan do you feel has the most inside storage? Do they all have the same outside storage?

Thanks again, your input has been incredibly helpful. Now, just need to get the diesel pusher sold!

marvmarcy

We have a 2012 Key Largo. I missed the nightstand so made small shelves across the corners attached to the lower edge of the headboard and passing under the window curtain. They are out of the way when moving around in bed at night. I also made a larger shelf attached to the wall adjacent to the bathroom. It holds enough for me. The other side of the bed already had shelves built into the wall beside the closet.

Our previous fiver had a peninsula kitchen which made it difficult to have two working in the kitchen at the same time, so we like the island. It also feels more open and has one big slide out instead of two small slides on the off-door side.

Marvmarcy,

Good to know there is room to put some shelves. I don't need a lot of space, but do need something. It looks like the washer/dryer area is in your bedroom where the San Antonio has dresser drawers in that spot. Do you have any other drawers in the bedroom besides the shallow ones under the TV?

I guessed that the island configuration would seem more open, but thank you for pointing out the slide differences. Also, one less slide to worry about :).

A question I forgot to ask, but do all of the floorplans have access to the kitchen and toilet with the slides in?

GlenStMary

We have a 2013 Key Largo and there are drawers in the left side of the closet along with a small cabinet and safe. In the year we've owned this unit we still haven't filled up all the storage available inside. Like Marvmarcy, we missed some shelves alongside the bed, but have improvised. The one big selling point for us is that with all the slides in, we can still get to the fridge for something to eat and drink, climb into the bed, and use the bathroom. As far as getting around in the kitchen when the slides are in, all you can get to is the forward end of the island. We've found the best way to deal with fixing something while traveling is to make something prior to pulling out, put it in the fridge where it will stay cold and is easily accessible whenever we stop.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We too have a 2013 Key Largo...We use the little wood/metal sofa table that came with the rig between the bed and bathroom as a night table for fan and DH's CPAP machine...on my side I have the little nook in the closet wall for tissues, remotes, etc.

We had a similar plan to the San Antonio in a 2008 Bighorn, prior to the KL. After awhile I got tired of being trapped in what I called "my one butt kitchen". Was leery about going from a suite bath (shower and sink in the bedroom), thinking it would make the bedroom seem small, but now that we have the enclosed bath, we find the room in the KL bedroom is more than enough and does not seem small. Mainly due to having so much room on the closet side of the bed and the fact the slide is deeper and pulls the bed farther out of the bedroom.

There is a dresser with 4 drawers in the closet, the large dresser under the TV and the large floor to ceiling cabinet beside the dresser. I find this to be more than enough for clothes, since there is a large cabinet in the bathroom for linens. You will not have that in the San Antonio, and will have to put linens in the bedroom...so for me that storage is a wash.

All in all, we have been in the Key Largo, full time, for more than a year and have NOT found one thing we do not like!

Thanks everyone for the responses. Kakampers, I hear you on the "one butt" kitchen. It is not my first choice and I am sure I would not like it in the long run. Although we have a split bath plan now, it does not have a sink in the bedroom. Something about the sink in the bedroom has always bugged me, I just don't care for it and would rather have storage or open space in that spot.

Sounds like everyone is happy with their Key Largo. Although we have to get our coach sold first, I might go ahead and take a look at a'14 Key Largo at a dealer about an hour away just to be certain that is one of the models to focus on when ours is sold. If I recall correctly, the '14 layout is the same as the older models we are considering.

dbbls59

I like the Grand Canyon design. We have a similar floor plan in the Big Country. Lots of storage in the big bedroom slide.

brianharrison

I too have a Grand Canyon design (2011). My selling point was the Off Door Side (ODS) stairs and pantry (lots of storage and rods for hanging coats). As well it allows for a bunch of shoes inside the door and I don`t have to step over them as I did with my Some Other Brand (SOB) Door Side (DS) stairs.

The bedroom has a king bed with lots of drawer and cupboard storage, plus nightstand on ones side and small shelf on the other (closet side). We also have the factory installed stacked washer and dryer.

The Grand Canyon is also the shortest of the Landmark designs at around 38 feet.

Brian

Brianharrison,

Do you feel like the corner shower in the Grand Canyon has more room than the regular shower in other floorplans? My husband has broad shoulders and I am wondering if the angled shower would be better for him.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We love our San Antonio (2013). We initially were going to get a Key Largo but after the we looked at having problems we decided on the San Antonio. Some differences you might consider are; the San Antonio has a split bathroom and the washer and dryer is in a closet next to the entry door. We like this much better than the washer/dryer being in the front closet as it puts less weight on the kingpin. The spit bath room is easier to use as one can be using the toilet while the other is using the mirror/sink or showering. We did like the open kitchen in the San Antonio but find there is more storage room (for us anyway) in the kitchen area. The bottom like is what works best for you is what you should get.

Jim,

I do prefer a split bath and the location of the W/D on the San Antonio. I also like the nightstand. There are plusses and minuses to the San Antonio as well as the Key Largo. I don't think any of them are dealbreakers for us. On paper, I also like the Mesa, but there seem to be very few out there. It will likely come down to which one we can find used, in good condition and at the right price.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim,

I do prefer a split bath and the location of the W/D on the San Antonio. I also like the nightstand. There are plusses and minuses to the San Antonio as well as the Key Largo. I don't think any of them are dealbreakers for us. On paper, I also like the Mesa, but there seem to be very few out there. It will likely come down to which one we can find used, in good condition and at the right price.

You might do like we did...we found a new 2013 after the 2014s were out. Saved a bundle, got a new unit, got a great trade and got what we wanted. You will just have to check around to see about a new previous year model. For used unit PPL in Houston has a ton of consignment units (all kinds and all brands) for sale. I think Ron Hoover in Houston may have what you are looking for. That is where we got ours.

Jim,

We are big PPL fans, both of our coaches have come from there. Unfortunately, they cannot take our current coach in trade because we are trading down quite a bit in value. My husband refuses to consider a leftover 13 because he does not want to take the depreciation hit and would rather buy gently used. Also, the trade in values on our coach have been crazy as in less than half of average retail. I am finding that dealers do not want to deal with us trading down and them giving money bac

We have listed with a well respected broker and just have to finish up some photos on ours to prepare for sale. They have a strong track record of selling coaches within 30-45 days, so that is what I hope for. We have come across a fully loaded 2013 Key Largo from a private seller not too far from us. Hoping it will still be there when ours is sold.

brianharrison

Brianharrison,

Do you feel like the corner shower in the Grand Canyon has more room than the regular shower in other floorplans? My husband has broad shoulders and I am wondering if the angled shower would be better for him.

I am not small in size (21" across shoulders) and I find the room in the neo angle shower to be fine for my needs. I sometimes bump the quarter turn shower handles as I am turning around, but this is with body parts not associated with my shoulders.

Best would be to find a similar unit and stand in the shower with the doors closed.

PS. I can confirm that I reach the fridge and bathroom/bedroom in the Grand Canyon with the slides closed. A must for us.

Hope this helps,

Brian