Better cold weather protection

Kurt

Kurt&Gwen
We are currently in Alaska, full timing in our Cyclone at Elmendorf AFB campground, which has power but no running water. We had the UltraHeat pads installed by the dealer on all 5 tanks and all 3 dump valves. Tried to use the UltraHeat the 1st time out winter camping (25 Feb) only to find out that the 15amp breaker keeps tripping. Looked into the total amp draw from the UltraHeat and it appears to be within 15amps. Something must be shorted and will have to take into shop for trouble shooting during my free time.

We have experienced the same senario. Within the first day after getting our Cyclone out of the heated shop, our supply line froze (outside temp was 14*), even with the furnace set to 75/80*. The next day (26 Feb), Gwen and I went to Lowe's and purchased a 750w/1,500w compact space heater (see below link) and installed it that night (see attach pics).

The following morning, we had running water with an outside temp of -7.9*. This mornings temp was -9* and all water flow was GTG (Good to Go).

Since the installation, we have left the compact heater on high and have had no problems as of yet. today I will set the heater to low (750w) until the lines freeze and see how that works and post the results over time.

I will use jtcfishing's idea of insulating the drain lines in order to help prevent the ice from wicking up to the suction line.

***WARNING***
Be aware when installing a heater in a confined space as to keep direct heat away from all wires, soft plastics or anything combustible. Also, make sure to keep at least 12+ inches from around the air intake of the heater free of any obstruction to minimize the possible hazards of overheating/fire of the heater/area/RV and inspect the area daily for safety. I installed mine on the left side, between the 2 fresh water tanks and frame, directing the airflow towards the front of the RV.

Instead of having the heater resting on the lip of the beam and drain hose, I need to find a better way of securing the heater to prevent any accidental tipping, since there is no safety feature for this.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Will upload pics when I can get my laptop to a hotspot.

Retired CPO

Nice job Kurt,
Remember if the Fridge or microwave, anything combined to add up to 15amps will trip the breaker at the base. been there done that. Also order a No-freeze fresh water hose for when you move around. Plus if you find anyone looking for a good Heartland 37' "BigHorn" with many extras that can handle the winters it's for sale on this forum & I'll give them a good deal. It already has Canadian RV vinyl Shirting for winter.

Kurt

Kurt&Gwen
Thanks Retired CPO,
I had the UltraHeat installed with its own dedicated 15amp circuit just for that reason.*

As for the hose, I went with the FlexoTherm (see below link) because the product is made in the US by an American company that is veteran own.*

I researched the No-Freeze and PIRIT heated hoses and found questionable claims and a lack of details by the manufacturers. *

On the PIRIT web site, I found questionable/false claims, no mention of it being a US made product (I believe it's made in The Netherlands, which is still 100% better than the crap from China... but still not American made) and saw a few negative reviews on Amazon and some forums.

I almost went with the No-Freeze until is started digging deeper and learned about FlexoTherm.
The No-Freeze Web site was lacking important details, displayed only positive reviews on their web site (nothing negative), I found only a few negative reviews on other forums (this is good) and way too expensive. If I'm going to spend over $320 for a heated hose, I expect more details and a better web site to match the price of the product. The product [is] made in the US and the company does try to take care of the customers by correcting any discrepancies ASAP with minimal delays and hassles.

Bottom line, I felt more confident purchasing the FlexoTherm with the info that I had, and the price for a 25' was $160 including S&H.

http://www.flexotherm.net/heated-water-hose-specifications.html

Hi,

Is your Rig stil available? I would be interested.

I am new to this and wonder how far experienced RVers would go: Could one spend say 10 out of 12 month (or even more) in a fully prepared 5th wheeler in Val D'Or in QC, Canada? :mad:

Competent, also critical comments apprecited

I spent 10 months in heartland 3911 including last winter which most will agree was one of the harshest on record. I am a construction superintendent and took on a job in Bella Coola British Columbia . The winter seen temps below 28 celcus. and many freeze thaw cycles. I did not have a single freeze up.
I skirted the basement in 2 inch styrofoam which fits easy at 24 inches to the ground with no cutting so long as you account for this when you level of the rig to begin with.
I built a 2x4 wood frame loosely laid at the base the same dimension as the rig attached some 2x2 flashing to the rigs underbelly with self tapping screws. The Styrofoam has a half lap that fits snuggly together.
and at the base I put some gravel to build it up around for protection from rodents and wind.
I put a 1500 watt electric heater in the basement with a access door out of styrofoam as well to check it. I used another heater in the toy box that was a 2nd bedroom for the winter. The furnace came on at a reasonable pace and was no issue for costs as I could go about 8-10 days on 35 pound tank.
For the water I used the styrofoam heater jackets you can by at any local hardware store and a 30 ft heat trace cord taped to the hose first.
If this helps and anyone needs I can comment further and post some pics later.

jimtoo

Wow doitrightpaul,,,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. Looks like you did it the right way. Thanks for all your information and be prepared... they will want more information. But that is what the forum is for... Friends helping friends and having a good rv'ing experience.

Enjoy the forum and thanks for your help.

Jim M