Bicycle Receiver (1-1/4") Option in Landmark

Bicycle Receiver (1-1/4") Option in Landmark - would you order it?

• Yes - We would order this option

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • No - We would not order this option

Votes: 37 71.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Re: Bicycle Receiver (1-1/4") Option in Landmark - Please vote

Opps, looks like I answered the poll again without looking at the comments. I answered yes, but would change that vote to a no after reading the comments. I did not like the little hitch that came on our 2014 San Antonio so when we bought this new 2015 Newport, as part of the deal, the dealer had to add a 2" receiver hitch. Carries my bikes when we travel and holds my flagpole when we are camped.

2" hitch Andy, not 1 1/4"

donr827

The Swagman bike rack that we owned required a 2" receiver. It had a bolt that screwed through the receiver bolts to keep the bikes from moving.
Don

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)

Add me to list of people who would rather have the 2" option instead. The 1-1/4" version is an embarrassing, dangerous and worthless. IMHO
Have a great day!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I would much rather have a receiver hitch that would be capable of pulling a small trailer which could carry a golf cart.

Dumboldles

I had a custom 2" receiver built for my new BH to carry bicycles. I'm looking at a swagmen two bike rack that I hope will be the ticket for transporting our bikes.

Dumboldles

sengli

The factory 1.25 hitch on our big horn, is so flimsy it ate two bike racks and dumped our bikes twice. Had it removed and re-enforced and it still waggles too much. I know not everyone has this type of results, maybe its the length of the rig behind the tires that cause the bouncing motion. All I know is from the start this hitch didnt work for us. Plus, the fine print on the two bike racks we tried, state that if you attach them to the back of an RV, the warranty on the rack is voided!
We did this instead, and so far no issue's at all.

Attachments

• IMAG0272.jpg
    IMAG0272.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 50

mlpeloquin

I thought of doing that for out bicycle built for two. It is as long as the dully is wide in back. The places we would take it would have it covered in so many bugs I would spend all my time cleaning it. Cannot cover it because the truck needs the air flow for the radiator. If it were for short distances I would do it.

dbbls59

I would want the 2 inch. Not interested in the 1 1/2 inch.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I thought of doing that for out bicycle built for two. It is as long as the dully is wide in back. The places we would take it would have it covered in so many bugs I would spend all my time cleaning it. Cannot cover it because the truck needs the air flow for the radiator. If it were for short distances I would do it.

I saw a two dully bikes on the bed of a pickup pulling a trailer. They had made a bracket that fit on the roof of the truck and set the bikes on a tool box with the front wheels in the bracket on the truck roof. Wish I had a photo to show you but couldn't get one.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Considered doing this, but had a few concerns with it.
1) getting the bikes up and down. You would have to have the pickup there to load and unload them.
2) the bugs splattered all over them going down the road
3) the appearance going down the highway would take away from that big beautiful front end of the Landmark 365
4) when it's sitting along side my house the bikes would be sticking up over the fence in plane site. So I would have to remove them every time I came home.
So I chose to install the 2" on the back and it's working perfectly.

1) getting the bikes up and down. You would have to have the pickup there to load and unload them
Nope... I can take mine down if the front is low enough or if not use one of the plastic steps. However if the front is high or you have legs shorter than mine, when you arrive at your campsite and unhook from your truck, just lower the front and lift the bike off. Then level your trailer. When you get ready to leave, lower the front first, place the bike on the rack then raise the trailer to connect to the truck.

2) the bugs splattered all over them going down the road.
Yes you can get some on the bike but they will block some of the bugs that would have hit the front of the trailer and you would have had to clean the cap for more bugs..

3) the appearance going down the highway would take away from that big beautiful front end of the Landmark 365
Yes it might at that. However you will have many people walk by and say "Boy that is a great idea. May I take a photo of it"..
Also on front it rides steady and you will not get to a campground and have a ground up bike or maybe none at all. The guy following you is ****** because he ran over it..

4) when it's sitting along side my house the bikes would be sticking up over the fence in plane site. So I would have to remove them every time I came home
That may be true. But if you sold your house and went fulltime you wouldn't have that problem. Utility bills, property tax, mow the lawn, lousy neighbors your stuck with that just moved in, and other things like that.

Ok.. I am just having fun with you... hope you don't take this personal.
Each to their own and I hope you have no problems with the bike on the back of the trailer...

Bike rack.jpg
Here is what mine looks like. The bike doesn't cover up much of the front.

FWIW
BC

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

LOL all good here. Everyone looks at things differently. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Candie

Mike & Candie Beaudette

I would want a wired 2" with a 7 pin

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

ksucats

Bob: Would you mind posting a picture of that bike setup from the side - curious of how it is done -- that looks like just what the wife and I are looking for!!

Harry1

The problem with the 1 1/4 hitch for bikes is that no one makes a bike rack that's rv rated for an 1 1/4 inch. If you visit etrailer.com the ones that are rated for rv's/motorhomes are for 2 inch receiver hitches. If you want to carry 2 bikes on the 1 1/4 inch hitch you'll have to buy one of the many available; but they are not rv rated or recommended.
The 2 inch to 1 1/4 inch adapters reduce the capacity of the 150 lbs. max to 75lbs. The adapter plus two bikes plus the bike rack would exceed that 75lbs.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

How about a pin box hitch mount? One of these could be used to haul bikes and not have the issues stated below.

JJC

retired Tennessee Chapter Leaders

2" for me as well. I only have an interest in a pair of bicycles back there. The 1.25" receiver on my current Landmark simply has too much bounce

AlwaysOnLiberty

2" preferred. We've seen the lesser cause scary bounce and it doesn't look sturdy enough going down the road with bikes or other stuff bouncing back there. A dual receiver would be even better. ;)

Candie

Mike & Candie Beaudette

2" preferred for us. Much more versatile and durable.

Sent from my STV100-5 using Tapatalk

Miltp920

After reading the posts, I want a solid bike rack - storage platform. Sounds like 2 inch is where the QUALITY is.

DWChris

Bought my Landmark with the small and it's pretty much useless. Scared to use it because of the bouncing. Am going to have to replace with either a 2 inch or come up with another alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk