Big Country Front Bedroom Closet wood damage, frame flex issue?

ziggysun

We are fairly new owners of a 2016 Big Country 3650RL (purchased this past October 2016). We only had the trailer out for 2 short weekend trips before winterizing in November. My husband upgraded our pin box to a Trailair Flex Air in early March in preparation of a 2 week, 2,000 mile road trip we just returned from yesterday.

We did encounter one section of highway that was very bumpy, first time the things on the closet rods were on the floor when we arrived at the campground, but when I picked everything up I did not see any damage to the interior of the closet. We arrived home yesterday and I was cleaning out the closet and have noticed that we now have interior damage where the front bedroom closet upright wood pieces holding the hanger bars have buckled and trim pieces have popped in addition to it looking like a seam is now visible in the upper closet wall, but we don't see anything indicating flex on the exterior. We did notice that the Flex Air pin box seemed to be almost touching the trailer, where before there was about a 1/2" of clearance (my husband had to use the very top mounting holes in the pin bracket and lowest setting on the Curt hitch in order to get everything level) and it appears while hooked up there is a large gap between the front wall and wood pieces that are typically butted up against the front wall. My husband disconnected the trailer before I had a chance to take pictures of the front while hooked up, but I do have pictures of the bedroom closet damage while on the landing gear.

I do plan on calling Heartland tomorrow, but was curious if anyone else with a Flex Air has any frame flex issues or bedroom closet damage? Kind of disappointing to think we specifically bought the Flex Air so we wouldn't have to deal with this type of issue.

Attachments

• BR Closet Damage 4.jpg
    BR Closet Damage 4.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 150
  • BR Closet Damage 3.jpg
    BR Closet Damage 3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 143
  • BR Closet Damage 2.jpg
    BR Closet Damage 2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 142
  • BR Closet Damage 1.jpg
    BR Closet Damage 1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 135

ziggysun

Wow, a bunch of views, but not one reply?

Is front closet damage that rare? Or did I ask the wrong question(s)? :confused:

'Lil Guy'

With the pin box mounted in the highest position and bolted and torqued to the specs, it shouldn't move if the welded mount is solid. However, it does look like you have something pressing on the bottom there. Need to certainly check the frame for any broken welds. I'm sure someone a lot more knowledgeable will chime in. Keep us posted as to your problem and good luck .

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's hard to say anything definitive based on those pics.

What did Heartland say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asherwin

I had a similar issue with my '13 Big Country two years ago. The washer/dryer cabinetry in the front closet would separate from the wall when hitched then go flush when unhitched. Also noticed movement of the pin box vs front cap, and a slight gap on horizontal seam along overhang on door side. Took pictures of all hitched and unhitched and sent to Heartland prior to Goshen Rally in '15. They invited me to their newly opened service facility after the Rally and after further inspection agreed it was a flex issue and an appointment was made to fix it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You said you were going to take pics while hitched up. You also said you were going to contact Heartland.
Have you done either?
If you make the call they will be wanting pictures both hitched and unhitched.

Peace
Dave

RandyDeb

I have a Big Horn with a Goose Box hitch on the trailer, so far so good. I would be talking to the place you bought the trailer to get inside behind the closet panel and see what's going on. It could be the hitch, just don't rule out anything at this point. Please keep us posted on what is found.

wdk450

I have a Big Horn with a Goose Box hitch on the trailer, so far so good. I would be talking to the place you bought the trailer to get inside behind the closet panel and see what's going on. It could be the hitch, just don't rule out anything at this point. Please keep us posted on what is found.

I think that if you presented to Heartland Service for a pinbox frame flex issue, and are using a gooseneck hitch, that Heartland would be likely to deny your claim for repairs.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think that if you presented to Heartland Service for a pinbox frame flex issue, and are using a gooseneck hitch, that Heartland would be likely to deny your claim for repairs.

He said GooseBox, which is the gooseneck type pinbox made by Reese that is the only one approved by Lippert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandyDeb

Correct. The Goose Box was recommended to me by Heartland engineers. They took me to the Lippert website, page, paragraph and said that this was the way to go. Understand, my original question to them was about putting a gooseneck adapter on my BH witch they said I would be on my own if any damage resulted. Two completely different hookups...

ziggysun

I did contact Heartland and sent pictures, both hitched and unhitched. Heartland's response was that the designers, engineers and frame manufacturer (Lippert) all say it's not frame flex.

Per Heartland's instructions I have an appointment scheduled with a dealer in May. Unfortunately we do not want to take it to the selling dealer as they had it for 3 weeks to replace a converter and I would not trust them to do anything to something as important as the frame. We've had a hard time finding an authorized service center in our area for them to confirm that it is not frame flex.

The pictures above of the closet area were unhitched, the 2 below of closet area are while hitched.

Our concern is that if this is not frame flex, like Heartland has stated, then what in the world could cause this? and will we have front closet damage every time we take it on the road?

Attachments

• Big Country Hitch Area Unhooked.jpg
    Big Country Hitch Area Unhooked.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Big Country Hitch Area Flex 3.jpg
    Big Country Hitch Area Flex 3.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Left side front closet wall area measurement.jpg
    Left side front closet wall area measurement.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Right Side front closet wall measurement.jpg
    Right Side front closet wall measurement.jpg