big country, lug nut

caissiel

If you have 7000 lbs Axles and the nut is 22mm or 7/8" and the studs are 9/16". You have to torque to 140ftlb. The threads on all axles are right hand threads.
Might be the reason you have to turn hard on the wrench. On my truck I have a longer bar to break the nuts, standard bar does not quit do it for me.

caissiel

Someone can correct me here but SOB torque requirements for 9/16" studs are higher then 1/2" studs.
The lippert instructions are not clear as the difference in stud sizes.

Keystone RV recommends this maintenance
procedure to ensure proper torque has been
applied to lug nuts before heading out on the road.

• Lug nuts should be torqued to 110-120 ft/lb
on all units except for the Cambridge,
which requires 140-150 ft/lbs

. This is due to the use of a 9/16” stud versus a half inch stud used on other units

Caissiel heartland manual that came with camper says 120 ftlb. but nobles rv mechanic says 140 ftlb with 7/8 inch nut and 9/16 stud. i retorque to 140 ftlb with right hand thread.
Thanks Gary Thate

caissiel

I have lost a wheel an my old RV due to improper torque, and a wheel on the rear of the TV when the torque was to low.
I usually have a good feel of the nut on the stud requirements and the truck and trailer feels like 140Lbs to me.

jnbhobe

Gary; The 140 to 150 ft lb range is the place to be. The last thing I've seen with left hand threads was the 84 fords with a heavy rear end

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have always used the 120 fps as recommended by the manufacturer without issues. That is for the G rated rim.