Big Horn bumper pull?

I have a chance to buy a 2005 Heartland Big Horn bumper pull, 28'...can't find any info, pricing, reviews, NADA values on it...can anyone help?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen a Bighorn travel trailer, though I'm not quite sure on the history of it.
It seems that there was some speculation that they were built for FEMA though Heartland says no.
I don't know if you will find much info that you are searching for as it was a limited production.
One thing I have been told is that they do not have holding tanks. I cannot verify that.
Here are a couple of pics of one.
IMG_0999 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1000 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1001 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1002 - Copy.JPG

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

Hi funkdharley,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I have never heard of a bumper pull Big Horn myself, but who knows, they may have built a couple with the Trail Runner. I suggest you get the VIN and call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032. They might at least confirm that it was built by Heartland and give you a little more information. But I'm sure they will not help with any pricing.

Enjoy the forum and keep us updated.

Jim M

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I too believe these were FEMA trailers. One way to tell a FEMA trailer is that they typically do not have any holding tanks.

SNOKING

I too believe these were FEMA trailers. One way to tell a FEMA trailer is that they typically do not have any holding tanks.

If you read what Scott posted in the second link I provided, he said that the Big Horn Fema trailers did have holding tanks. I would look closely at the 144931 tag on the back see if Fema is there in fine print. Chris

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

There were a quite a few without tanks but also as many bought off the lots with tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Legendary Member
I have seen several Bighorn travel trailers over the years and none of them have the normal model markings with either a model number or a name, which leads me to believe that they were a short run of trailers for a specific use or market. I don't believe that HL actually furnished trailers for FEMA but made a few to see how they would do in the market.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
After Hurricane Katrina, Heartland switched many of their production lines to make trailers to be used for temporary housing for the masses that needed to be relocated.

Trail Runner was the main brand that was used for this . . . and most of these were unmarked as to what brand they were.

This is the first time I've seen a Bighorn labeled like this.

jassson007

After Hurricane Katrina, Heartland switched many of their production lines to make trailers to be used for temporary housing for the masses that needed to be relocated.

Trail Runner was the main brand that was used for this . . . and most of these were unmarked as to what brand they were.

This is the first time I've seen a Bighorn labeled like this.

No it wasn't. Fleetwood was the number one manufacturer of the housing units that were used. Anything else was purchased off the lots of dealers and sent to the south. I spent over 7 years dealing with nothing but these units.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
No it wasn't. Fleetwood was the number one manufacturer of the housing units that were used. Anything else was purchased off the lots of dealers and sent to the south. I spent over 7 years dealing with nothing but these units.

If you look hard enough . . . you'll find that Heartland did switch their Trail Runner lines over to make FEMA trailers!

And I've seen many of them rolling around here in Colorado since then.

jassson007

If you look hard enough . . . you'll find that Heartland did switch their Trail Runner lines over to make FEMA trailers!

And I've seen many of them rolling around here in Colorado since then.

Sorry but that is incorrect.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Unfortunately your argument is invalid considering how poorly the government handled the Katrina aftermath. Such an extraordinary display of government waste and incompetence. There is no way you can be absolutely certain John is not correct that there were a few Trailrunners used. I was working on a Paramedic unit in Aurora CO. where we processed over 10k evacuees through Lowery AFB. In hindsight the trailer that we received our patient assignments from looked like a Trailrunner. Either way the stories we were told by the survivors when we were transporting them to the hospital were amazing. Most of these patients were so relieved to just be away from the way they were being handled by our own government, left hand had zero clue what the right hand was doing, and much less the disaster area.

But from what I have read, not many of these FEMA trailers would be worth a purchase price considering the way they were treated, the way they were kept, and where they are from. Sounds like you could get one on the cheap but would end up gutting it to make it habitable.

jassson007

Wow I am just gonna stop right here as I said I spent 7 years working this disaster along with several others and literally put my hands on everything in the state of Louisiana and se Texas but I don't know what I am talking about. Ok. I'm done!

I have a chance to buy a 2005 Heartland Big Horn bumper pull, 28'...can't find any info, pricing, reviews, NADA values on it...can anyone help?

also, wonder why there is not 1! outside storage compartment? where are you supposed to keep fresh water hose, sewer hose, gloves, lawn chairs, gas grill, etc.?!?!