Big Horn Questions from prospective buyer

ihsolutions

We've been seriously looking at Heartland products for the past six months while we tried to sell our old fifth wheel. We started off looking at Sundance, then Elkridge, then Big Country, and I think now we've settled on Big Horn. But I have a couple questions.

We are looking at the 2011 Big Horn 3385RL. In the brochure, it states under standard features:

• King Size Bed
  • Memory Foam Pillow Top Mattress (N/A 3385R)
Now does that mean the king size bed is standard, but you can't t get the pillow top mattress? Or is it that you can't get a king size bed at all. This is an important feature for us. Heartland's website, which is often not up to date, is not really clear on this matter. No dealer that I can find locally has one of these units in stock.

Secondly, we really need the extra sleeping capacity offered by the booth dinette, though I would prefer free standing table and chairs. I'm wondering if there are any owners who have this option, as I have never seen a Big Horn booth dinette, pictures or in person, and wonder is it comfortable, and is the table mounted on posts, hinged to the wall, etc, and of what quality is the whole assembly. I've seen some very poorly done booth dinettes, and some nice ones... so it's hard to know what I'd be getting.

Lastly, looking at the floorplan, it looks like it might not be possible to open the refrigerator door while the slideouts are in on the 3385RL... and also the 3185RL which is the other unit we are considering. This is important to us, and dealers have not been able to verify this because nobody has one in stock.

I'd like to order a unit ASAP, but need answers to these questions. Thanks!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm sorry to say I can't help you with answers but I would contact Heartland directly for up to date and hopefully correct information. I will move this post to an "Ask the Factory" swction where you may get a reply by sometime on Monday.

busted2341

I can tell you that as an owner of the 3055, and great coach it is, and Heartland happy customer, you would need to reverse the door opening on the frig. You are correct it will not open with the slide closed unless you do this. It is fairly easy to do. As for the other questions sorry can't help on those.

Paul_in_MN

I don't know the models and specifics of the Big Horn line, but I did buy the step down Eagle Ridge with a similar floorplan to one of the BHs. We noted before purchase that the refrig door would not open if the big slide was in. Our sales guy made it sound like "hey no problem". But as we travel, it became quite obvious to us that this was a very irritating issue. I called Dometic, and they sent out the door hinge reversal kit at no charge. We got the door hinges changed to the other side and have full access to cold beverages etc when we pull over for a few minutes. I do not know if this solution will solve your problem with either of the BHs you are considering, but throw it out as a possibility.

Paul_in_MN

branson4020

Icantre Member
The OP was asking about a Bighorn 3385. As an owner of a 3385, I assure you that the refer door opens just fine with the slide in. See my previous posts in this thread.