Big Horn rear hitch/receiver

etcmss

does Heartland/Big Horn offer a 2 inch hitch receiver. Looking for a 2 inch receiver to install on rear of Big Horn 3260 elite for a scooter.

jimtoo

I do not think Heartland offers a hitch anymore for any of the units. They did offer a light duty for a while, but it was for bicycles only,, think 200# rating and it was the smaller receiver. Do not think they offer it any more. Some folks have had a welder make one up for their unit, but when you modify the frame or add to it you will void any warranty.

I did move thread to better area also.

Jim M

jbeletti

does Heartland/Big Horn offer a 2 inch hitch receiver. Looking for a 2 inch receiver to install on rear of Big Horn 3260 elite for a scooter.

Sorry, no 2" receiver is offered by Heartland. As jimtoo mentioned, the lightweight 1-1/4" receiver that was offered on some of our brands, seems to be being discontinued. It's gone from Landmark for sure - just not sure on Bighorn.

You'll want something beefy for a scooter to be bouncing up and down on. Here again, jimtoo is on the right path - have a competent welder fabricate something he and you have confidence in.

jbeletti

I just spoke to Kary and he confirmed that Bighorn continues to be orderable with the 1-1/4" receiver.

pegmikef

I just spoke to Kary and he confirmed that Bighorn continues to be orderable with the 1-1/4" receiver.

Yeah, but like you said Jim it only supports 150 pounds and I would sure be leery of putting anything even that heavy on the one on my BH . . certainly not a scooter.

I know this is close to a year old but I was wondering how the Curt RV Hitch has worked for you? We just got a BH 3270RS that has the mounting brackets and looks like the Curt RV hitch will work good for a bike rack.

Oregon_Camper

I know this is close to a year old but I was wondering how the Curt RV Hitch has worked for you? We just got a BH 3270RS that has the mounting brackets and looks like the Curt RV hitch will work good for a bike rack.

Go with a custom welded hitch. I had a custom hitch mfg for my Bighorn. I had it created to use two inserts to offset the torque to two bars vs just one. This is ROCK solid...so much I had the same thing done for the hitch on the front of my truck to carry another dirtbike. My WR450 weighs 250lbs, so I feel fine with this setup.
2015-08-10 11.37.55.jpg2015-08-10 11.43.36.jpg2015-08-10 11.45.41.jpg

Thanks. Very Nice. I like the idea and functionality. Think this is close to what I will actually do. Also gives you a rear bumper when you don't have anything in the receiver.

B

Boatman

SDC10768.jpgSDC10767.jpgSDC10770.jpg
Built my own bike rack for our BH. I designed it to use 2 receivers. This increases its capacity and stops all wobble. Future plans are to build a carrying rack in-lieu of bike rack. I bolted it directly to frame with grade 8 bolts.

B

Boatman

I did bolt to the existing rear brackets, but fabricated front brackets from angle iron. Only problem was that I had to adjust the tongue angle since the rear brackets were lower than the front frame. I wanted the drawbars to be level with the ground.

Oregon_Camper

I did bolt to the existing rear brackets, but fabricated front brackets from angle iron. Only problem was that I had to adjust the tongue angle since the rear brackets were lower than the front frame. I wanted the drawbars to be level with the ground.

I encountered the same issue during the planning stage on mine. You can see by going back to page 1 of this thread, how I stepped up the receiver to get more ground clearance. I also shortened the ladder, as i felt it as too low and could hit the ground when coming in/out of angled locations.

Did you just weld some 2" square tubing to plate that was bolted to the existing bracket in the back and then weld 4" square on the 2" square tubing and the hitch mounts to the 4"square tubing? That is what I am thinking about looking at your pictures.

wildwolfproducts

Did you by chance take any pics while mounting the hitch to the frame? How did you get the covering out of the way while putting the hitch on?
Pete