Big Horn

MMT

I'm thinking of buying a Big Horn fifth wheel model 3160EL. Any body know if this is to much weight for a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab short box diesel. I know I can tow it but I'm worried about the hitch weight.

danemayer

Hi MMT,

Look at the label on the door frame of your truck to find the payload/maximum carry weight.

The 3160EL has a GVWR of around 15,500. For planning purposes, you should assume about 20% of that on the hitch, or 3,100 lbs. Add some additional weight for the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, pets, passengers and compare to your truck payload. You can do a more detailed analysis at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

Oregon_Camper

Welcome to the site....more Oregon members!!

We love our 3160EL. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions (buying or other)

'Lil Guy'

Go to the Ram site and look at your payload dwith the options on your truck. It's figured with full fuel and 300lbs of passengers. I just swapped my 14 Ram 2500 for the 3500 DRW for the same purpose. You are going to way over on payload. With air bags, you can handle it fine. Lot of people do it. I won't. Your trans and engine are the same as the one ton, just less payload. Again, a lot of people here are doing it.

Bones

I'm thinking of buying a Big Horn fifth wheel model 3160EL. Any body know if this is to much weight for a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab short box diesel. I know I can tow it but I'm worried about the hitch weight.
Simply put you will be over loaded suspension wise. Your ram can only handle about 2k lbs payload with no body in it. It will pull the camper and it will stop. Air bags will only help to a certain extent. Once you hit curves at speed you will find that the trailer will push your rear end around a bit and you will feel it if you know what the dynamics of the system are. Your rear tires will not loose traction. Mine never did but it will affect your steering ability. The rear tires will hold the load but they will wear at a much faster rate than anticipated. The axle on your truck is rated well above 10k lbs so no issue there. The trailer will push the back end of your truck a bit more with chucking so the ride will not be as smooth unless your not tuned into that. the interstate transitions will be felt and some will slam the living daylights out of your truck. Shall I go on. This is first hand experience for you and first hand knowledge.