bighorn 3160 elite new owner

HooDad

Hello new Heartland friends! I am finalizing the purchase of a new 2015 bighorn elite. My tow vehicle is a 2011 gmc sierra 3500HD 6.0 gasser. As long as I don't fully load the new camper I think I should be OK....???

Anything I should be aware of prior to the walk through? Any known problems or issues? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I will post some pictures and avatar at a later date.

Thanks to all in advance.

P.S. I previously belonged to the Forrest River Owners Group Forum and was a very satisfied owner of a Rockwood fifth wheel.

danemayer

Hi HooDad,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

What I'd suggest for the walk through is to:

1) ask the dealer to hook up to water, sewer and electric,

2) have them demonstrate everything - meaning every switch, every faucet, every control, radio, TV, DVD, every control in the UDC, show you the winterizing controls, and have someone else video the whole thing. It's a lot to remember.

3) stay on the dealer lot or nearby for a day or two to actually use the trailer. Talk with sales and service managers about your plan so that if you have questions or need adjustments, they'll do them on the spot rather than having you drop the trailer and wait in the service queue.

As for your truck, the thing to keep in mind is that gas engines develop max horsepower at much higher RPMs than diesel engines. Your trailer has a GVWR of 15,500, and even if you load it lightly, you could be towing over 14,000 lbs. You may not be happy with your gas mileage and your engine is likely to be screaming when you pull up an incline.

jbeletti

Hi HooDad,

Do you have pet owls? Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your BH purchase. I hope the Heartland Owners Forum ends up being at least as much a resource for you as the Forest River Owners Forum was. After you've really gotten a good sense of this forum, I'd love to hear from you on anything here you feel we may be deficient in. Email or PM me with your ideas.

By the way, we have an active chapter of the Heartland Owners Club in VA. Consider joining the club and hitting a few rallies. Rallies are the best!.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Welcome to the HL bunch. If you were pulling your Rockwood, then you know what your TV will do. I think that you will be OK on your GCVWR. I hope that your TV has the Allison trans. As Dan stated, your TV will be stressed on hills and gas mileage will not be that good. Maybe at some point, you can move up to the same TV only with the D/A combo. The power and fuel mileage will greatly increase and you get an exhaust brake.