Bighorn 3670 Frame/NEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE/ Installing JT Strongarms

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am looking for a crossmember at the back of my 2011 3670RL to attach the REAR JT Strong arms for the rear electric stabilizer jacks. I'm done with all of the struts except for where to attach to the center rear of the coach.

Is there a solid steel crossmember in the frame near the rear of the coach?

All I can find w/o completely removing the underbelly is a sheet metal cap at the rear of the frame, similar to the floor in the generator compartment, This doesn't look nearly as strong as fastening to the C channel or I beam of the frame itself, as I did in the front.

It is recommended that the arms be behind the jacks angling upward to the center rear.
The only other possible option is to run them forward along the I beam side rails.(Although the instuctions don't show this, I would think it would be better than nothing)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Trace

caissiel

If you have the electric stabilizers you would need to install the strong arms lenghtwise, the present stabilisers you have at the rear are good for sideway. I install my stabilizers that direction on my rear stabilizers, from the frame to the foot.

TandT

Caissiel, Are you saying take the Strongarm from the footpad along the side rails towards the front? I was thinking that would be the best way, but when I read the instructions, it shows paralleling the the stabilizers to a point further back at the far back center of the coach. The side rails would sure be a lot easier.

caissiel

I see a lot of pictures where they are installed that way on the type of stabilizers we do have. I think it would further solidify the stabilizers if installed sideways though. With the scissor stabilizers you do have to stabilize sideways.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Here is some pictures for you on the rear stabilizers. If you would like to see some on the front please let me know.

IMG_0408M.jpg IMG_0409M.jpg IMG_0412M.jpg

BC

TandT

Sorry, my brain is a little fuzzy today.
Just to clarify, You are saying run from the rear stabilizer footpad attaching to the side rails going towards the front of the trailer. (Not across the back of the trailer)
Is that correct? Thanks ,Trace

TandT

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hey, Trace, here's a 3670 with the Ultra-Fab stabilizers mounted on the rear electric stabilizer. As you can see, they run from the frame rail in front of the stabilizer. I poked and prodded around under the rear cap, but didn't think the thin sheet metal there was substantial enough. This mounting works fine.

View attachment 12466

In this second photo is a little safety tip I picked up a while ago from the forum. Drill a small hole, maybe 1/8" into the T-handles. Run a key ring through it and then use a wire fishing leader with clip to secure it to the stabilizer strut. This will prevent the handles from rattling loose on the road and getting lost or imbedded in somebody's windshield. And they don't interfere with tightening or loosing the struts.

View attachment 12467

TandT

Hey, Trace, here's a 3670 with the Ultra-Fab stabilizers mounted on the rear electric stabilizer. As you can see, they run from the frame rail in front of the stabilizer. I poked and prodded around under the rear cap, but didn't think the thin sheet metal there was substantial enough. This mounting works fine.

View attachment 12466

In this second photo is a little safety tip I picked up a while ago from the forum. Drill a small hole, maybe 1/8" into the T-handles. Run a key ring through it and then use a wire fishing leader with clip to secure it to the stabilizer strut. This will prevent the handles from rattling loose on the road and getting lost or imbedded in somebody's windshield. And they don't interfere with tightening or loosing the struts.

View attachment 12467

John, Thanks for the pics and the good idea on securing the T handles. I was wondering about losing those things.
We are in the desert and the past couple of weeks it's been wind, wind and more wind. (Springtime in the desert.) The front ones alone, which I have had on for a week, have helped alot. Time to do the back one's. Thanks you guys, Trace

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Trace; I installed mine the same as Bob and John show, they have been on for a couple of years now, I left the back ones on even after the Level-Up was installed. Jon

hillsonwheels

Had the same question about "where's the cross rail?" :confused: when I installed my JTs. Called the mfg and their engineer/tech said to buy a 4x4 piece of 1/4" angle iron cut to length and bolt it up to meet the installation specs and then bolt the JTs to the angle iron. Worked great for me while I had 'em. :cool: Have since installed level-up and sold JTs and angle iron. Kinda sorta wish I'd kept the rear ones but deal was made before I figured that out! Good luck....which ever way you go with yours. They are definitely worth the $$.

aatauses

I also attached mine from the stabilizer to the frame in the front of the stabilizers. I could not find anything strong enough in the rear of the coach, so drilled through the frame and put them pointing toward the front--they work just fine.
al