Bighorn Condensation around Bathroom Vent

george637

I just returned from a trip to Mississippi with my newly purchased, slightly used 2016 Bighorn 3270rs. It was hot and humid! When running the air conditioning, I noticed a lot of condensation around the bathroom ceiling fan vent. There is an air conditioner vent right next to the ceiling fan vent, so I know the condensation was due to the cold air mixing with the hot air. The condensation was so bad there were water marks on the ceiling around the ceiling fan vent. I'm concerned that that much water will eventually damage the ceiling. I opened the ceiling fan vent and turned the bathroom fan on, and that seemed to reduce the amount of condensation, but did not get rid of it entirely. Anyone else have this issue, and if so, what did you do to fix the problem?

George & Linda
Along with Patches (Wire-haired fox terrier) & Licorice (Goldendoodle)
VisitedStatesMap.gif
Image.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like there is a path for the cold air to meet the warm air at the vent. You will have to identify where that path is and seal it off.
Remove the vent shroud and take a look.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

I have the same trailer. I installed a Fantastic fan in the bath. This fan removes any moisture from the bath area quickly. I have never seen any moisture buildup. ( fan installed from when I first got the trailer ).

Lou_and_Bette

We use those pillow type insulators in our vent to prevent heat in/out...seem to work well in the 6 years we have been full time and all over the country. You might try one of those for a quick and easy fix before tearing into things.

olcoon

I second Lou's advise, at least it would be a cheap, if not temporary fix. Most RV stores sell them, and sometimes you'll find them at Walmart.

NHCelt

We had severe condensation on the ceiling where the AC duct ran. I lined the bottom of my cold air duct with adhesive backed foil duct insulation. A bit of a chore doing it, but it helped. We really only had a problem with this when in the high humidity of the Florida Keys at a time when we only had one functioning air conditioner. For whatever reason, it has not been a problem since. The existing ductwork is just a three sided u shaped channel that sits on the ceiling...no insulation.

You may also find some intrusion into the ductwork in that area, and that may be feeding your problem. Trying using a flashlight and your cell phone as a periscope and you may see where there is a lack of surgical precision in the placement of the ductwork. I had holes where the vent fan etc. crossed paths with the duct. Essentially, the cold air flow was blowing directly on the framing for the vent. You may be able to figure a way to seal the gaps. The duct insulation is very flexible...best of luck!