Bighorn Entertainment Systems Standards and Options

wittmeba

Thanks, Jim.

Knowing my own 'stubborness' and what I have read in just a couple posts, it might make sense to at least 'offer' a choice by the buyer.

I realize that different units vary in cost, size, hole and cable locations, templates for different speakers vary but Heartland seems to be very quality oriented. I would hate to spend my hard earned 'retirement funds' on an quality RV and end up with an undesireable low budget brand of HDTV or Stereo/Speakers.

It all reflects on the RV mfg quality. No one will ever blame Samsung, Toshiba or Zenith.

Thanks,
Bruce

bpmills

You Should Have Known What You Were Getting Berfore Singing The Paper Work. Our 2009 3400rl Has A 27 In Olevia Tv And A Samsung, Dvd, Cd And Surround Sound And A Fm Tuner. All Qiuit Visible To The Owner Before Signing The Paper Work. I Am Quite Pleased With My Set Up. Sorry To Hear You Are Unhappy With Your Choice.
Burt

bunnie1203

we were told you could put a movie in DVD player in the living room and watch it in the bedroom. Cannot figure out how to do this. Any one have experience with this?

cmart

I just wish I knew who I could hire to actually get sound coming out of my surround system. The dealer replaced the dvd, but its just like the old one, doesn't work.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
I just wish I knew who I could hire to actually get sound coming out of my surround system. The dealer replaced the dvd, but its just like the old one, doesn't work.
curtis - Our 2009 BH 3 of the 4 surround sound speakerd did not work when we picked it up, but troubleshooting on my part found the wire twist connectors behind the DVD player were not made up properly. The wire was too short and while it was tristed together there was no connection. All work great now.
Hope this helps

Tom

Shadowchek

Hi Bruce,

The speakers and the wiring are pretty standard in these coaches. I have not heard of anyone deleting the factory surround stereo systems. The Samsung units appear to be working better than anything we've supplied in this plant to date.

That said, I doubt you will save much money on the coach if the stereo delete is an option. Likely best to let it go as a standard build and replace the unit with what you want. You can use the speaker wiring as it will be right there in the cabinet for you.

One challenge may be the sub-woofer. The one that comes with the equipment you by, may not fit behind the cabinet or fireplace where Heartland installs them.

Also, you may have a challenge mounting speakers from the unit you buy and covering the holes in the ceiling from the old speakers with the new ones. Maybe make a round plate and paint it white. Mount the mounts for your speakers to that plate. Drill a hole in the plate to bring out the speaker wire, then mount the plate to the ceiling, then mount your speaker to your speakers mount.

Others who have done what you want to do may weigh in on this one too.

Thanks,

Jim

After reading about the reliability of the coby we recieved and listening to it I decided to upgrade.These all in one systems come with speakers so I wanted to use them if possible. So I needed to find a system that had speakers that would easily mount to the ceiling and clear the slides.I found a samsung HT-Z310 system that fit the bill. It was on sale at Best buy for a little under $ 200.00 . The speakers twist lock on to the base so I could mount the base then the speakers. I drilled holes in the bases for the speaker wires to come through on the back side. I then pre drilled 4 holes one on each side of the base for mounting the base to th roof. I then pulled the wires through the hole I had drilled and screwed the bases to the ceiling I then twist locked the speakers to the base and hooked up the wires. Now on the center channel speaker it is 10"'s or so wide was not quite as stable as the rest of the speakers and followed the contour of the roof noticeably which bugged me. So I made a little bracket that mounts to the ceiling that keeps the speaker level and stable. I then took some spackle and filled what holes that weren't covered and there aren't noticible unless you are looking for them. The center channel is a little more obvious because it wasn't centered originally and I centered it leaving the hole where the wires come through somewhat exposed. I filled that gap with spackle and will come back to refine that later but then again I am the only one that has noticed that one either. Now we don't have the fireplace so I was able to remove the old subwoofer and devider board. The new subwoofer was about as wide as the old one was long so I turned it sideways and reinstalled the devider board. The new reciever itself is a little tight in the cabinet but works. Our last trip out we watched a scarry movie and it was incredible. At less than half volume I had everyone telling me it was too loud. I have listened to music and watched concerts on it it is great. All the wiring is there for a little work and a little money you are dialed in. Next trip out I will take some pics.

Greg

cmart

All the surround sound on my unit comes from the TV. Even though the dealer replaced the DVD and said I was good to go. So there is suppose to be sound coming from those extra speakers on the ceiling, lol.

regan

Regan
Cmart, can you tell me what you have everything set too on your system. Your are saying sound is coming from TV not from ceiling speakers. you may need to check inputs on receiver, and make sure you have it set correctly. You can use the TV's speaker and watch TV and Movies, or you turn the volume down on the TV and set the receiver to whatever you are doing. For example if watching a movie, receiver should be set too DVD. If watching TV you need to check and see if you have the TV audio out cable from the TV to receiver. Watching TV sound needs to leave TV and go to receiver, usually set up as Aux. 1 etc. Sound from DVD never needs to go to TV as you will always want to use the receiver so you get good Surround. Make sense?

traveler44

home entertainment system

Our B.H. 3370 came with the Samsung swing out flat screen tv and the Samsung DVD- Etc. unit in the living room. We haven't got in to trying to install anything in the bedroom. Samsung doesn't come with headphone jacks and it would be nice to be able to plug in our wireless headphones. Samsung is just not very expandable with the limited amount of audio and video connections but it is still a very nice entertainment center. Tom

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
All the surround sound on my unit comes from the TV. Even though the dealer replaced the DVD and said I was good to go. So there is suppose to be sound coming from those extra speakers on the ceiling, lol.

In order for the sound to come from the surround system with TV, when NOT using a DVD, there needs to be additional wiring to accomplish this. Both the TV and the system will need additional connections also (preferably HDMI)...DH replaced our "replacement" phillips system with a samsung unit and replaced the Olevia with an Insignia TV. We keep the TV muted.

Sound now comes from the center speaker while watching regular TV, and all the other speakers come into play whenever a show is broadcast in Dolby....works great!

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
To get our surround to work through our Olevia we just put it on aux. and it works great. Kathy:)