Bighorn - Freezer Icing Up - Video

heyjude

Hello. Our heartland freezer is having problems with ice building up. The problem is only on the left side of the freezer if you're standing in front of it. Both the left and right side freezer doors have a slight gap that can be seen in the following video when you wiggle the doors by hand and they are closed/latched. When closed, the fridge doors can not be moved to expose the gap between the door seal and the fridge. Can you please help me diagnose and repair this issue? Maybe the door gap has nothing to do with ice build-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3TzSEMN654

Thank you,
Judy

mlpeloquin

If it icing up, fresh air is getting in. Use a dollar bill an see if it pulls easily through the seal moving it to a different position an each try. Also try cleaning the seal on the door and the mating freezer surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

heyjude

Ok I will try this, thank you. We were concerned about the gap from the "loose" door.

danemayer

Silly question, but are you sure there's nothing inside that's keeping the door from closing completely? Or maybe something inside the frame or seal.

heyjude

Silly question, but are you sure there's nothing inside that's keeping the door from closing completely? Or maybe something inside the frame or seal.

That thought came to mind. I'm not sure if that is happening or not. I thought it was possible that the doors could be bumping open slightly to open a gap between the freezer frame and the door seals...especially since there is "play" in the doors even when they are latched closed (see video in my first post). We have some pretty rough roads that this trailer has traveled on here in CA.

danemayer

That thought came to mind. I'm not sure if that is happening or not. I thought it was possible that the doors could be bumping open slightly to open a gap between the freezer frame and the door seals...especially since there is "play" in the doors even when they are latched closed (see video in my first post). We have some pretty rough roads that this trailer has traveled on here in CA.

You can probe the seals with your fingers to see if anything is inside the seal and if you take everything out of the freezer for a few minutes, you'll be able to see if the door closes better.

heyjude

PHP:
You can probe the seals with your fingers to see if anything is inside the seal and if you take everything out of the freezer for a few minutes, you'll be able to see if the door closes better.
I checked with the owner of the RV, and the freezer was never full enough to keep the door open, but that was a good idea to pursue. The freezer is empty and defrosted. I am going to try to inspect the seal again.

danemayer

I checked with the owner of the RV, and the freezer was never full enough to keep the door open, but that was a good idea to pursue. The freezer is empty and defrosted. I am going to try to inspect the seal again.
So, is this your 2013 Bighorn, or another trailer? Year/Model/Floorplan? Refrigerator model?

B

Boatman

If you have a residential refrig it could possibly be caused by a plugged drain. When properly draining, the ice is evaporated via a small fan from a drip pan. We experienced this and after we cleaned the drain, defrosted the freezer, problem went away.

heyjude

So, is this your 2013 Bighorn, or another trailer? Year/Model/Floorplan? Refrigerator model?
This is our Bighorn manufactured 11/9/2012. The Model is 3010RE Bighorn. I'm not sure what the floorplan is. The refrigerator model is NORCOLD Model 1210.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a residential refrig it could possibly be caused by a plugged drain. When properly draining, the ice is evaporated via a small fan from a drip pan. We experienced this and after we cleaned the drain, defrosted the freezer, problem went away.
I found a drain line behind an access panel on the exterior of the same slide as the fridge/freezer, and also found a small plastic dish where water has been dripping. I looked in the base of the overhead freezers, and I didn't find any drains in them...I thought this was strange...

B

Boatman

On our freezer the drain comes from the freezer coils. If drain is plugged, water will overflow to the freezer inside. I removed the drain and found lint/dust/junk plugging the collector under the freezer coils. Also had to defrost the freezer. I then poured hot water around the coils to ensure my drain was properly working. Not sure if this is your problem. Search U-tube and you might find a video on how to do this--we did and it worked. Good luck.