Bighorn Hydraulic Slides and front legs

Westwind

While working on the trailer last week the the slides kept stopping when I was trying to open them, I could hear the fuse click on after I waited a minute or two and then they would operate, When I hitched up the trailer yesterday the legs did the same thing.
It appears that the 30 amp fuse on the fuse bar near the hydraulic pump that powers the hydraulic pump has seen better days, or it could be the battery or a problem with the converter. Bought a new digital volt meter today so I could check out the Converter and battery, hopefully it will be something simple like the battery which means it is just a battery change.

Rob_Fla

Could also be combination of colder weather and a weak battery, the hydraulic fluid gets thicker when it is cold thus puts more load on the pump which draws more current on the 12 Volt system.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
This happens to me but only when retracting the hyd jacks. It never happens with a slide or extending the jacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

TedS

I believe it should be a 40 or 50 amp breaker. I replaced mine with an 80-amp breaker. No more slide interrupts. Earlier Lippert instructions suggested the change.

sengli

My 2013 big horn just started to to this same thing, again only when retracting the main gear. I hope its due to the fluid being thicker due to the colder temps. Seems as if I have seen other threads here where people have found the bus bar connections were the issue, they were loose. Next spring when I get mine out I am going to go thru them and clean the connections.

Where did you get the higher amperage breaker?

Prairiedog

Seems as if I have seen other threads here where people have found the bus bar connections were the issue, they were loose.

Also make sure that the toggle switch on/near the bus bar is in the right position. I grappled with my slide outs and a low voltage issue only to find out it was that single toggle. Good luck!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have had that happen to me. I replaced the breaker as it was weak.
It is a 50 amp self resetting.
I replaced it with another 50 amp and once I changed it I have had no more issues.
They are around $10 and I now carry a spare.

Peace
Dave

Westwind

Looking at the Heartland Buss Bar wiring Diagram that's posted on the tools section there is a 50 amp on the hydraulic pump, some of you went higher, but I was wondering where you found the Heartland or Lippert recommendation. I'd like to read it before I do it or try to look for them. I might try buying another 50 and a spare and try replacing it. I just hope my bus bar is wired like the drawing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have not seen the recommendation to parallel with 2 50amp breakers however here is what Lippert has recommended. I used an 80amp breaker and have had no problems..

Upgrade to Breakers for Hydraulic Pump..JPG

BC

Westwind

I bought a volt meter yesterday and I figured out how to use it, I want to check the Progressive Converter to check it and be sure it's pushing out the correct numbers, then I'm going to replace the fuse for the hydraulic pump and last but not least have the battery checked. In the end I have a feeling the battery needs to be replaced.

TedS

TXBobcat beat me to posting the LIP sheet about the 80-amp breaker. That's what I did, too, and no more intermittent stops. The service department I have used measured 76 amps peak draw when operating the hydraulic pump.

jbeletti

Attached is the current version of that same LIP Sheet (058). They removed the breaker and drawings from it in the current version.

Attachments

• 0058-Wiring-Circuit-Breakers-in-Parallel-for-LCI-Hydraulic-Pumps.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 64

danemayer

Westwind,

Don't overlook the possibility that the battery voltage being a little low could be the culprit. As the voltage drops, the amperage goes up and may trip the breaker. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and the battery is fully charged.

sengli

The converter is just switching power supply, and battery charger. Your battery needs to be setting with the converter running like 13.5 to 14 volts. Its like checking the alternator on the car when its running.

Westwind

I cleaned out the storage compartment today, removed the wall to the area where the converter is and checked it out according to the trouble shooting guidance that Progressive provides on their website. The 9200 checked out fine. I bought a 50 amp fuse at NAPA Auto Parts the other day and I think I might replace that and try the slides and see if the shut down on the slides occurs again then it has to be the battery.
I have a few more weeks before we head south so hopefully the rain, possible snow, and whatever mother nature throws at us lets up and it warms up to a bearable temp where my fingers work so I can put a new 50 amp on to try that out. That bar with all the wires is a little tight to work in and cold fingers don't help.
Thanks for all the info, I've printed it all out and a copy is in my bible that I keep in the trailer.

Gizzy

Had the same problem when I brought my slides in. Seemed to happen only when the door side slide (flush) was trying to get up and over the floor level. It was a weak breaker and a new one took care of the problem. Note; after attempting to find a new breaker at local RV shops and auto parts stores with no luck, it was suggested to try a marine store. Yep, they had it. I now carry a spare also.

Westwind

We have a West Marine and a couple of Boat Dealers that have service departments so I could have tried them but my experience is that their markup is always on the steep side. NAPA wasn't bad and although they only had one they ordered some extras so I'm picking up another 50 amp as a spare. But in the end it will probably be the battery.
At least that's my call.

Westwind

Had a great warm day today in the low 50's, gave me a chance to get the new 50 amp breaker in, of course it wasn't without drama. The two ears that are used to attach the fuse were on the wrong side of the case so they had to be filed off. When installing it still wouldn't fit, it was what was left of the ear strap attached to the rear of the fuse case. I loosened the buss bar slipped the fuse in and then tightened the buss bar again, now everything is ok. The slides work great now, no starting and stopping - so those of you who mentioned the fuse get the cigar - you were right. Now I have to go back and get a spare.