Bighorn Leaf Springs

sidney dreyfus

All four Leaf Springs on our 2008 BigHorn 3670rl have had to be replaced. Has anyone else been experiencing the same problem?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had the springs replaced on my 2008 Bighorn. Springs are not that expensive and if you are kinda handy it is a job you can do yourself.
Don't know for sure what the cost is but I'm guessing in the $50 range each.
Don't know what a dealer would charge.

Peace
Dave

Lance & Jo

Had to replace ours last summer as all were flat (1 slightly recurve) and used 4K springs with larger U bolts. So far all looks great after about 7k miles, some of which were in Mexico over less than great roads. Not a unique experience as lots of folks have written about same thing.

Niles

Many threads concerning the springs. Most aren't good, we had two sets go flat on our 3670, you tend to lose faith in the product after that. The people at Lippert(Jerry for one) is great. However I'm not into changing springs every year, so we went with the Mor-Ryde system, 8k axles no more problems. It's not a cheap fix, but in my opinion it is a fix, that doesn't need fixing again and again.

sidney dreyfus

I guess the failure of the leaf springs is due to the initial decision to use undersized springs. I hope Heartland and Lippert has recognized the issue have decided to rectifify the problem by using heavier springs and suspension. Is 4,000 lb leaf springs the answer? What about the corresponding shocks and Trail air equalizer? Should they be upgraded also? Thanks for your feedback!

lwmcguir

We went with 8k axles and Trail Air about two years ago. No problems and the springs are still just as they were installed. Also upgraded to 17.5 tires and wheels. Just makes sense if you are going to tow a lot of miles. The coaches aren't designed for high milage or they would use slipper springs or Torsion Axles.

Attachments

• HPIM2557.jpg
    HPIM2557.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 83
  • 17.5 Tires-Wheels 2.jpg
    17.5 Tires-Wheels 2.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 62

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I watched our springs like a hawk thanks to this forum. Here's our before and after.
before: IMG_4888_1.jpg
after:IMG_6026.jpg

Unfortunately we didn't take action before the warranty was up. Replaced axles, springs, equalizers. Also replaced all tires after these pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4890.jpg
    IMG_4890.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 100

lwmcguir

Slipper springs????

Almost all of the medium duty GN trailers come with them. The trailers that have them are all out at the ranch. Will grab a photo and attach of one of the trailers. they are only bolted at the front end and allowed to "slip" on the equalizer. Usually wider and heavier than the light weight narrow springs like we have on the Campers however they do come in smaller sizes as well. The work better and hold up better. Don't recall ever breaking one in the past 45 years.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-Slipper-Spring-Trailer-Suspension-Review.aspx

Dave49

Have there been any issues with the 2011 Bighorn 3670's that anyone knows of? I fulltime in mine and they look fine right now, but does this take time to happen or is it random? Just curious why this is happening in the first place?

Dave

RoadJunkie

I have a '10 3670 and the springs are just fine, so far. I torque them to spec and consider the overall load very carefully. Oh, and shocks have not "bent" either. I guess there are a lot of factors to consider as to why some springs flatten...including factory materials defect. Be sure to keep a proper torque on the U-bolts.

wdk450

Dave:
I guess it was on a similar thread that Jim Beletti posted that Heartland has been using Dexter axles, brakes and springs for a couple of years now. You should be O.K.

jimtoo

This is the post your looking for by Jim B. Post #16.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/27786-My-SECOND-broken-axle?p=208463&highlight=#post208463

Jim M

The springs on our 08 Bighorn went flat at less than 5000 miles.
Lippert replaced them and since then no problems.