Bighorn questions and concerns

T

tomnpam

Thanks for the invite!

Thanks, Jim, for inviting us but the unit won't be ready until the end of June (Lord willing!). Otherwise, we might have seriously entertained the idea! And, we do have a legit dealer. Rvpricebusters.com is actually Best Buys RV out of Springfield, OH. We think we got a fabulous price because they are starting to carve out their own new niche with the internet market. Jason, our salesman, told us they will do a 10 hour PDI before even calling us to tell us the unit is ready. Hopefully that will be the case. And, the few people who have used them speak highly of them. So, we're happy! Thanks again for all the help. Look forward to getting to know all you folks.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
tomnpam,
We purchased our Bighorn from Best Buy RV in Springfield Ohio. I feel confident that they will do whatever it takes to make you a satisfied customer. They did with us and I can't say enough about them and Heartland. Both companies have been very accomodating. This being our 5th trailer in 7-8 years, it has been the best experience yet.

I'm also glad that you found this forum to help you in making your decision. As you have already seen (read), there are many happy Heartland owners out there.

If you have any questions about Best Buy RV I would be happy to help in any way I can. I live only 40 minutes from there and work only 15 minutes away. I know many of them by their first name, salesmen and service people.

Good luck,

Mark

T

tomnpam

Thanks!

Thanks, Mark, for the encouragement! We have been very pleased so far with the dealership, especially Jason. Such a pleasant individual! And, when we were thinking of canceling our order, he was quite gracious and understanding. And, it paid off because we have no hesitancy now going through them. Our gut has told us their great (as well as a few other inquiries!) and it's nice to hear the same thing from others as well.

ChopperBill

Tom and Pam, Congratulations on your decision!
Folks, I was in PM conversation with T and P before they posted here. We had several "talks" and then they asked if I would buy a Bighorn again. Sorry but I had to answer truthfully and due to my many problems I said "no I would not". I told them to ask folks on this forum because there were many happy owners. I also added we were all fixed up between our dealer and I and were good to go. I said we really like the floor plan and the livability in it. We are proud to show it off and people are amazed of how nice it is. We spent all of our savings on our Bighorn and are in it for the long haul. We will keep it and camp in it "tell death do us part". Those that "know" me know I tell it like it is. Looking forward to many years of Bighorn camping and Heartland forum yakking. I am extremely happy that Tom and Pam went to the trouble to ask other folks about their future trailer and welcome them to the Heartland gang!

Pulltab

We picked ours up on Friday and have been busy putting things away and such. We also live fulltime in our unit so we have a higher likelyhood of finding things to check on. I found yesterday that our shower leaks somewhere when I opened the driverside bay door to basement and water was puddled on floor and dripping from the floor of bedroom. I quickly got everything dried up and resealed the entire shower inside on ALL joints. This is typical of every RV we have ever owned so I expected to have to do this one also and was not let down. Today will be the test as to whether or not I sealed the right spot. I checked the drain and it was all tight and dry. For anyone buying an RV it is really important to check for leaks as this will quickly do a LOT of damage if not caught.

Uncle Rog

Pulltab, iut took me a while to figure out that the tub accees for the valves was not sealed and would not screw on tight...really had me scratching my head.....

Gary Steeves

We are buying another Heartland coach

We love our 2006 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, but I have had several tire issues with the coach and when I finally got everything weighed, I am over weight for my Chev 2500HD 4X4 CC Duramax specs. Not on all weight specs, but enuf for us not to be comfortable pulling the Mt. Rushmore with that truck.

We love the 2008 Big Horn 3370RL and look forward to a June delivery. Giving up a couple amenities - but also losing 2,000 lbs.

Per this forum, it seems most folks pulling the Landmarks are using the 1 ton duallys (or stronger) and the Big Horns seem to "fit" better with my 2500HD.

By the way, I am going to put the 110psi rated wheels and G rated tires (new Goodyears) from the Mt. Rushmore on the new Big Horn. I hope no more tire problems with this set up.

I hope everyone enjoys their Heartland coaches. After much evaluation, we are sure we made the right decision to acquire our 2nd Heartland coach.

Gary Steeves

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Gary, don't be too sure that the BH 3670 will not exceed the limits of your truck. I now have a Dodge 3500 DRW 4X2 with a 4.10 rear end. I am under the 23,000# GCWR by only 240#, but I exceed my truck's GVRW of 10,400# by 740#. I would imagine that your GVRW is about 9,000#. Mine is a 5.9 L CTD, yours may be gas, which would weigh less.

These weights were from a Flying J scale just after filling propane and diesel on our way back from Florida. Fresh, gray and black tanks were empty, but truck and trailer were full of clothes, etc as we had just returned from a 2 1/2 month trip to Florida.

At least all of my weights on the TV are under the axle and tire weight capacities, so I don't feel too bad that I don't have enough truck.

My BH 3655 is about the same as the 3670. I do have a Trail-air hitch, dual pane windows and gel cote siding, so this does add weight to the total trailer which weights 14,800# with a pin weight of about 2,800# (based on weights taken on the BH at last year's rally).

Traded a 2000 Montana for a 07 3500RL in Nov 06. This unit had a couple minor problems that dealer repaired with no problems. This is my fourth 5th wheel and like this one the best. The large front closet and optional kitchen island is what sold us.

Pulltab

We also bought ours from Best Buy in Springfield, but we only live about 30 miles from them.

Gary Steeves

cdbMidland,

We ordered a 3370 - not the 3670, which Heartland shows as 2,000 lbs heavier. (or about the same as my Mt. Rushmore). My TV is also a diesel.
Thanks for the reply, Gary

seabee

Trading Up

My wife and I have purchased a 2008 3670RL and so far we love it it go's without saying you are going to have problems,we had a water leak in the front closet W/D elbo was leaking repaired by moble RV Repair.
We had a Gulfstreem PS,and loved it but we got such a gerat deal from Doug's RV sale's in Ms.
We had looked at the at show's in 2007 for the money this unit is great there are higher end or should I say higher priced units but I can live with this kinda cheaper,it has all the bells.
I sent the bill to Heartland for the water leak,we will see how that works out on another reply.
BudnJan

Last edited:

jbeletti

Hi Bud amd Jan,

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. My W/D connection leaked during my PDI. The hose ends were reversed. We took out the W/D to find that out. A lot of work for a simple mistake and fix but better during the PDI than in an campground far from home.

So long as you or your repair guy called Heartland and obtained approval for the repair, I'd think reimbursement should be a snap. But hopefully either way on something this minor, they'll make you happy :)

Jim

jpmorgan37

BudnJan;

If you haven't done so already, call or e-mail Jim Fenner at Heartland to let him know that you sent the bill for the repair. He is the warranty administrator. I will tell you, it normally takes about a month to get a check back. Jim's e-mail address is service@heartlandrvs.com.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

seabee

Repairs

I have talked with a Chris told him I was having these problems and told him I would be glad to pay the service call so I won't have to hual it to a dealer.
Jan&I are fulltimers and I found only one dealer that Hartland has ties to and its a 40 mi. drive one way so getting a service truck out was cost effective with the price of fuel.
I have a few small things that still need to be addressed but as we travel I'm sure we will find a dealer to take care of these things as we will be in Colarado during June.
I want to thank you Jim and all the others on the Forum its a real place to go and get help or just talk and share about or Homes.
I 'm so happy to have my crapper and shower,sink in the same room,where were there heads to put a crapper in a 2x2 area we still need a room to plan out next heading.
Our Big Horn has given us a small appartment that we can move and see a new front&back yard.
BudnJan;)

geeksrus

mrcomer said:
tomnpam,
We purchased our Bighorn from Best Buy RV in Springfield Ohio. I feel confident that they will do whatever it takes to make you a satisfied customer. They did with us and I can't say enough about them and Heartland. Both companies have been very accomodating. This being our 5th trailer in 7-8 years, it has been the best experience yet.

I'm also glad that you found this forum to help you in making your decision. As you have already seen (read), there are many happy Heartland owners out there.

If you have any questions about Best Buy RV I would be happy to help in any way I can. I live only 40 minutes from there and work only 15 minutes away. I know many of them by their first name, salesmen and service people.

Good luck,

Mark

We just purchased a 3400RL from RV Price Busters & will be travelling to Springfield to pick it up. We plan to stay in the area to thoroghly test everything (gives us the chance to have the dealer fix things) before returning home.
Seeing you live in the area, can you recommend a park for a stay of 5-6 days?

Thanks

Graham

Pulltab

Graham, there are a couple in the area. Also a state park but it is about 15 miles away. That would be Buck Creek State Park. There is a pretty nice park right at Rt 70 and Rt 40 intersection so that one would be convenient to get to and back to the dealer. The dealer is right off 70 and you will probably see them off the highway as you approach Springfield if coming from the west. Ask them what they recommend and maybe they will foot the bill for the week considering how far you are coming. That is the least they could do. Whatever you do, don't let anybody talk you into going to Bass lake or Enon Beach. One is difficult to get to with a large unit and the other should be shut down. Lots of live in permanants there.

geeksrus

Pulltab said:
Graham, there are a couple in the area. Also a state park but it is about 15 miles away. That would be Buck Creek State Park. There is a pretty nice park right at Rt 70 and Rt 40 intersection so that one would be convenient to get to and back to the dealer. The dealer is right off 70 and you will probably see them off the highway as you approach Springfield if coming from the west. Ask them what they recommend and maybe they will foot the bill for the week considering how far you are coming. That is the least they could do. Whatever you do, don't let anybody talk you into going to Bass lake or Enon Beach. One is difficult to get to with a large unit and the other should be shut down. Lots of live in permanants there.

What is the name of the park at 70/40????