Bighorn SAT setup???

gpcvg

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3160EL and my dealer says the trailer is wired for a SAT dish to be installed on the roof but he says they have no idea where the wiring is on the roof. Is that possible? I would have guessed the area would have been re-enforced for the sat on the roof and the wiring would be located in the same area. Are there standard areas on the roof for your sat to be placed? They want over a grand for install. I would think that a fifth wheel like this would have a wiring diagram or standard area that would make install easy. Am I wrong?

As you can tell I am a new owner and new to RVing in general.

Thanks in advance.
Gene

pegmikef

I know there is an easy way to find the wiring on the roof. I haven't personally done it, but I know a lot of folks have and someone will hopefully chime in and tell you the particulars. I use a tailgater so I didn't need it, but the terminals for the roof wiring are in the UDC as are the terminals for the LR and BR. With the roof antenna installed, you then just jumper the terminal to the destination terminal. It will accommodate two inputs from the roof so you can have one for each destination if desired. I think there is a blank plate covering a hole on the ceiling in the bedroom and I am pretty sure it has something to do with the roof wiring.

jbeletti

Gene - Mike has it right. Look on the ceiling up front in the coach for a blank white wall plate. That is where the Winegard Travel'r data cable and the coax cables are. The dealer/installer will fish them out - down into the room, then drill a hole up through the roof and pull the cables out onto the roof. The Travel'r system comes with a cap that is sealed over to cover/weatherproof, outside, where the cables come out. Put the blank wall plate back onto the ceiling and this aspect of the install is done.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The roof mount dish is great unless you park in trees. Then no signal. We use the Winegard "carry out" so it can be moved to get a signal and about 1/3 the cost.

DougS

Doug S
The roof mount dish is great unless you park in trees. Then no signal. We use the Winegard "carry out" so it can be moved to get a signal and about 1/3 the cost.

We also have the "Carry Out" on a ladder mount. While traveling this last summer we moved it off the ladder several times to get a signal. I like the flexibility. Down side, I don't think the picture is as good as the roof mounted units.

avvidclif

We also have the "Carry Out" on a ladder mount. While traveling this last summer we moved it off the ladder several times to get a signal. I like the flexibility. Down side, I don't think the picture is as good as the roof mounted units.

It's digital data. The picture will be the same for the same format. HD or SD.

danemayer

Carryout units vs rooftop: with Dish you can get High Def with either. With Directv only the rooftop units give you High Def. The carryouts can only provide Standard Def.

gpcvg

Has anyone experienced non rv people stealing or messing with your dish when you have it on the ground? I wouldn't think that someone at the park would do anything but I wonder about locals. I can see kids messing around with it after dark or just someone taking it. I have to say I am new to this and don't know what staying at an RV park is like.

kdubinwa

I'm looking at this for when my rig arrives. This is a new roof mount for the King Tailgater that is not permanent. Best of both worlds I figure.

http://letsrv.com/product/king-introduces-new-removable-roof-mount/

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
In my previous post I neglected to say that mine is also on a ladder mount. ! bolt and it can be removed and placed else where to get a signal.

pegmikef

Has anyone experienced non rv people stealing or messing with your dish when you have it on the ground? I wouldn't think that someone at the park would do anything but I wonder about locals. I can see kids messing around with it after dark or just someone taking it. I have to say I am new to this and don't know what staying at an RV park is like.

I have never had a problem, but depending on where I am, I sometimes secure it with a security cable and lock . . . more often in public parks that are sparsely populated by campers, especially if we will be doing day trips and be out of the area. As far as I know, noone has ever messed with it and I have been using the Dish Tailgater for four years.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
To answer the "dish walking off" question, I noticed a number of the temporary residents (Pipeline workers) in our park have portable dishes. They move with their job, often only staying in one place a month or so. They are gone from their coaches all day. They don't seem to worry about them.... One had his positioned just a few feet from the road. I could have easily seen it "walk off" but it did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The only time I take my portable GM1518 in is when we leave the rig to come home. Otherwise it sits out near the road. I've seen several other portables left out by other seasonal campers.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Regarding your question/concern about theft, I have been in literally hundreds of campsites across this country and Canada backpacking, car camping, all tent camping (as unsecured as you can get) before we bought our BH. We have never experienced any disturbance or theft by humans, critters-another story! In fact only once in recent months has an establishment forewarned us to make sure our bicycles, of all things, were locked !!
Now saying this I'll probably be jinxed or someone going to say I'm just lucky. But, Oh well...