Bighorn vs Montana

Charles

Hi all and we are still doing our research.

Looks like we will probably end up with either the Montana 3150RL or the Bighorn 3055RL.
One huge difference is the weight. Montana at 11,110 vs Bighorn at 14,000 lbs.

Maybe this is a corporate question, but what accounts for the difference in weight?

Also, for anyone who owns the Bighorn, can a 3/4 pull it or do I need to step up to a 1 ton?

Love this forum.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The 14,000 lbs on the 3055 is the GVWR. The dry weight is 11,076, which I suspect that the 11,110 on the Montana is also the dry weight.
14,000 GVWR means that is the weight rating for the 3055 when fully loaded. If 11,110 is the GVWR of the Montana, it would mean that you will be able to load a whole lot less.
Keystone does not list a GVWR for it's products. So the 11,110 is the dry weight. They call it their shipping weight. They do however list a carrying capacity of 2,831 which would bring it up to 13,965 verses the 14,000 on the Bighorn.

Peace
Dave

eaglenest

We have had two Big Horns --- 1 the size you are thinking of and now have a larger one. We have pulled both with a 3/4 Ford King Ranch and have had no trouble at all.

jimtoo

Hi eaglenest,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I am glad you found the forum since you have had Heartlands for a while it sounds like. Jump in and join us at some of the owners rallies and meet some more really nice people.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

vangoes

Charles,
The 3/4 ton is more than adequate for these units. My '08 2wd ford F250 has a 16,000 lb. 5th wheel towing capacity and my previous '04 F250 4wd had 15,9xx capacity. With these capacities you are good to go with even larger units.

Looks like we will probably end up with either the Montana 3150RL or the Bighorn 3055RL.

Maybe this is a corporate question, but what accounts for the difference in weight?

Also, for anyone who owns the Bighorn, can a 3/4 pull it or do I need to step up to a 1 ton?

Love this forum.

You will hear many opinions of whether your 3/4 ton can pull a 14,000 lb trailer. There is mor eto the calculation than whether you can pull the weight. I am sure your truck can "pull" a lot more than that. My concern would be
a) your pin weight rating and actual weight
b) pulling is easy and relatively safe. Think about stopping especially on a down hill slope. Not saying you can't just saying make darned certain you can SAFELY. If you do have issues the first thing insurance companies will look at is your weights and ratings. Just trying to be helpful.

ihsolutions

Love this forum.

We have a 2500HD diesel and a BH 3670RL. We are about 300lbs over GVWR on the truck but still under the RAWR and factory stated tow limits. It pulls fine, and I added air bags in the rear to help level the load. No problems whatsoever.

jayc

Legendary Member
I did the same as Jeff and Laurie with my 2500 to pull my 3370RL. We had a 3055 before we got this trailer and it pulled just fine.

ChopperBill

To be bi-partisan here, I like the kitchen window and the lower TV in the Montana. But, you loose some storage. Other than that after looking at a gazillion Montana's I have never been infatuated with there quality, or other Keystone products for that matter. On the tow vehicle. GM's have the same engine, transmission, frame, axles and brakes on the 2500/3500 SRW models. So I wouldnt be all that concerned about safety. If you have a 2500 an upgrade to tires and suspension put them in the same playing field. Cant tell you about the other brands.

Charles

Hi folks and thanks for all of the responses.

And yes, my confusion was on the Gross vs Unloaded Vehicle Weight, but now I understand.
Also, thanks for the info on the trucks. We really do want to stay with a 3/4, and it sounds like
that will be just fine.

This forum is the best thing since sliced bread, because it is sure nice to hear from folks who
have been there and done it.

caissiel

I tow ours with the F250 and no problem at all. I do drive at 65 MPH and that is the top speed while hauling trailers anyway.
The trailer is so light on the rear of the truck that I have to put the truck in 4 x 4 when riding on blocking for the trailer wheels.
The previous trailer was harder to pull and I towed it with a GM 2500K and it was rated to pull 8600 Lbs trailers.

jbeletti

Charles,

I work for Heartland and I've read through all the feedback you've received from customers here. Like you are doing now, Heartland customers tend to do their homework very well and are very knowledgable. It's gonna be hard to stump them so please keep firing away with questions. In the unlikely event they get stumped, the factory will be able to assist you in any way possible. I also invite you to speak directly to the Bighorn Brand Manager, Kary Katzenberger by phone on Monday if you'd like. Just call the plant at 574-262-5992 and ask for him..

Best of luck in your research and decision. We'd love to have you join the Heartland family.

Jim Beletti
Director of Owners Interests

Last edited:

Love this forum.

Just went through the two identical models you are looking at; the Montana 3150 and BH 3055.

The Montana with the lower TV viewing was better in that aspect.
The washer/dryer cabinet had a large drawer under it.
The hickory wood is nice.

The Bighhorn...
Dinette chairs more comfortable.
Furniture was better and even leather if you want.
Counter top Corian is nicer.
Vaccum hose port in basement.
Sharper turning (88 degs) with short bed and no slide hitch.
No sunken entry step inside. We disliked inside sunken entry step in our past Montana.
Hidden controls for everything behind a door cabinet.
Finish level was certainly higher.
Deeper drawers in kitchen and they still pull all the way out.
Shelves in the Bedroom TV cabinet had doors for traveling.
In toilet room, a cabinet with a door for storage.
Auto entry light.
Keyless.

For us the Bighorn won hands down. We ordered last week.

We have a single rear wheel short bed crew cab F350. The pin weight plus; diesel, propane, groceries, and front closet storage, passengers, leaves us under the rated maximum payload weight rating of the truck and easily under the GCWR.

jimtoo

Love this forum.

Hi Charles,

The weights your quoting are not the same. The Montana at 11,110# is the listed EMPTY SHIPPING WEIGHT. The Big Horn weight your quoting of 14,000# is the GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT. The Big Horn EMPTY WEIGHT is 11,076# according to specs listed on the Heartland RVs Website. The empty weights posted will vary if you add options.

I have a BH 3055 and we love it,,, no comparison in quality and factory service.

Jim M

musicman

We have a 2011 BH 3185 and we are pulling it with a 2010 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. It pulls great. We love our BH.

DRGalligher

We are new to the forum after buying our 2011 Bighorn 3055RL. We searched and reviewed many RV's looking for a high quality unit that would last us for the next 15 or so years. This is our first 5th wheel after having owned four travel trailers. We too reviewed and walked through the Montana's, but since we would not be upgrading our current TV - an F250 V10 6.8L 4.3 differential, with header mods, FIPK kit, and TransGo shift kit, we really researched the weights. I don't know if this law is everywhere but here in Idaho, each RV has to have the actual dry weight and GVWR printed on a neon sticker and applied to the inside of the door. We used this information when researching units. The similar model of the Bighorn 3055RL in the Montana line was heavier. We noticed that there were feature differences as well, with the Bighorn coming out ahead. For instance, the Bighorn has two Fantastics with Rain Sensors, whereas the Montana only had one. We found the solid surface countertops richer in color and quality than the Montana. The Montana we looked at only had hydraulic jacks in the front with manual in the back. The Bighorn has hydraulics in the front and electric in the back. This is living! The Bighorn was a more flexible floor space and the desk by the fireplace was workable as opposed to the Montana, that was tight in elbow room. Not to mention that the Bighorn was nearly $20K less than the Montana. This extra money we saved allowed us to setup our truck with a Hensley BD3 Trailersaver hitch, added a Hensley TruControl brake controller, and added heavy duty Firestone airbags. Did you know that Heartland revolutionized the universal docking/control center (where the valves are) and the 88 degree front cap turning radius? I found this out on Wikipedia researching Heartland. In addition, Heartland's first product was a luxury 5th wheel - the Landmark. BTW - our truck towed the unit beautifully! It's so new we've only driven it from the dealership, to the fairgrounds to practice parking and backing up, and home at 60mph. It tows easy. I mean you can feel it back there but it feels no different than towing our 11k Komfort travel trailer with a Hensley Arrow hitch . . . solid! DH did an excellent job backing it in to our side yard. Best of luck to your decision, but as you can see here on this forum, lots of happy campers.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
[QUOTE=DRGalligher;138317]...The Bighorn was a more flexible floor space and the desk by the fireplace was workable as opposed to the Montana, that was tight in elbow room. Not to mention that the Bighorn was nearly $20K less than the Montana. This extra money we saved allowed us to setup our truck with a Hensley BD3 Trailersaver hitch, added a Hensley TruControl brake controller, and added heavy duty Firestone airbags. ..[/QUOTE]

It is also customary for the people who saved all this money to share it with the rest of us on the forum. I will PM you with my address so you can write the check. :D

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer!!

DRGalligher

[QUOTE=DRGalligher;138317]...The Bighorn was a more flexible floor space and the desk by the fireplace was workable as opposed to the Montana, that was tight in elbow room. Not to mention that the Bighorn was nearly $20K less than the Montana. This extra money we saved allowed us to setup our truck with a Hensley BD3 Trailersaver hitch, added a Hensley TruControl brake controller, and added heavy duty Firestone airbags. ..

It is also customary for the people who saved all this money to share it with the rest of us on the forum. I will PM you with my address so you can write the check. :D

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer!!

[/QUOTE]

Good one Southern Nights!

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I too have a 3055 and pull it with a 3/4 ton gmc diesel. It pulls it with no problem, been to oregon so. cal and not one problem. hardley know a difference when pulling a grade.