Bighorn - Water Heater

K-Engler

Need to replace my Suburban 12g SW12DE. The dimensions are H: 16.25" W: 16.25

what is the best tankless water heater that I can use that will have a door/flange that will cover the previous opening?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Water Heater

Hi K-Engler,

The factory won't be able to help you with this type of question because Heartland is not using tankless water heaters, and it could require some modifications to your water and propane connections, which they can't support.

Is there something wrong with the old water heater?

K-Engler

The water heater is shot and looking at options..

Does Heartland sell and ship the Suburban SW12DE 12 g water heater?

If so, how much from factory?

danemayer

The water heater is shot and looking at options..

Does Heartland sell and ship the Suburban SW12DE 12 g water heater?

If so, how much from factory?

Tomorrow, you can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Owners Club members get a 10% discount on parts.

You might search online to find other suppliers and their prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, a few days ago someone else was going down exactly the same path as you. Thought the water heater was shot and was considering tankless. Turned out to be a leak at the check valve where the hot water exits the tank. He replaced an inexpensive check valve and fixed the leak.

donr827

One negative to a tank less water heater is that if you loose power you will not have anything but cold water. With a tank type heater you will at least have warm water till the tank cools off. Don

jbeletti

One negative to a tank less water heater is that if you loose power you will not have anything but cold water. With a tank type heater you will at least have warm water till the tank cools off. Don

Don - Not sure if you're referring to AC power. The 2 brands of Tankless Water Heaters I've had in RVs both required only 12 VDC and Propane - no AC power was required. So mine does work without "shore" power. We use it each travel day for lunch and bathroom stops.

Not that the controls and igniter of traditional RV water heaters require DC power to operate.

donr827

Don - Not sure if you're referring to AC power. The 2 brands of Tankless Water Heaters I've had in RVs both required only 12 VDC and Propane - no AC power was required. So mine does work without "shore" power. We use it each travel day for lunch and bathroom stops.

Not that the controls and igniter of traditional RV water heaters require DC power to operate.

I should have been more descriptive, I was referring to the tank less in my house.
Don

jbeletti

Need to replace my Suburban 12g SW12DE. The dimensions are H: 16.25" W: 16.25

what is the best tankless water heater that I can use that will have a door/flange that will cover the previous opening?

Most Tankless or Endless Hot Water Heaters for RVs are available with doors so fit any traditional water heater opening.

I am using the Suburban Nautilus at this time and so far, we like it. A very popular brand is Precision Temp. If I had my choice to select any tankless unit, I'd try the Truma brand. I've seen it at shows many times - it looks very well engineered and is popular in other countries.

Tsys100718

I installed the Girard Model GSWH-2 and my wife absolutely adores being able to take a shower without running out of hot water. The door is purchased separately and they have options that fit just about every situation. In my case, I actually had to add a piece of 2x2 to the existing opening.

One potential drawback to this unit is boondocking. The Girard unit fires, and heats, based on throughput. I have read reviews that said there was not enough flowrate from the on-demand pump to cause it to fire, and therefor heat!

I did not research the other units mentioned, so I do not know if they potentially have the same issue.

Last edited:

jbeletti

...I have read reviews that said there was not enough flowrate from the on-demand pump to cause it to fire, and therefor heat!...

I use the demand pump for 100% of my water usage and it works well with my tankless water heater. For me, if I was to boondock, the issue might be the mindset that unlimited hot water means unlimited water on-board. So we'd have to adjust usage a bit. That said, we rarely boondock.

danemayer

I have a similar question. I thought of tankless type myself. I did some research and yes, they can be fussy, and they need more servicing and maintenance, and they cost more. Can someone be able to answer my question or give me good advice. Can I install it from this list https://www.newtanklesswaterheaters.com/ of water heaters?

Hi Rosyy,

First, the link looks like it's for residential water heaters. So whichever one you're considering, you'd have to consider the heat source. What are the electrical requirements for all electric? If 240V, you'd have to run a special wiring setup to deliver 240V to the water heater. If Gas, does it accept Propane or only Natural Gas?

The form factor of each would have to be evaluated to see if it would fit available space. If venting is required, you'd either have to use the existing exterior cover and hope it works, or fabricate something new.

Without knowing your skill level on water, electric and gas modifications, as well as structural modifications, it's impossible to say whether you could install it yourself.

You'd probably find it simpler to pick a tankless heater designed to fit in the place of a Suburban 12 gallon model.