Bighorn - Which 50amp Onan genset is best for my 3270rs?

Dodge_Bob

I made the purchase Sep., 2015, I have been wondering which Onan Genset 50 amp, and quiet would fit my R)V, be it diesel or LP(LP LOW PRESSURE)? It is a 3270rs Bighorn.

danemayer

Hi Dodge_Bob,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You'll want to look at the Onan 5500 - 5.5 HGJAB-1270 (1381**) - the model with two 30 amp circuit breakers. The factory ships Bighorn with the LP model - there's no factory option for a diesel or gasoline fuel cell on Bighorn. I think one owner posted about trying to get a fuel cell installed, but I don't remember if he's succeeded.

If you figure out how to get a fuel cell installed for diesel, you'll probably have longer run time than with an LP generator. If you're planning on boon docking, you'll need a fair amount of fuel. These generators can use around 1 gallon/hour of run time with a full load.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
For the $$$$ amount,,,I would buy a genset with 30 amps or more and carry in the truck. 2 2K Hondas hooked together would be more than enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim.Allison

If you are gen prepped then the 5500 LP is the way to go. With the gen prep, you have already paid for part of the system. If you are a good DIY then about $3700 more will get you a nice built in onan system. If you have the gen prep the installation is simple and is truly "plug and Play."

avvidclif

Or add abt $1k and get a 6500 and use 3 ac's. The Onan 5500 and 6500 are exactly the same size shape etc. I've been looking at that and it's a simple swap out.

Bohemian

What will be your use from the gen? 8f youbwant to run all the ACs at thevsame timevyou will need a big gen. 8f you onlynwant to charge your batteries, a smaller gen will do at lest cost and use less fuel. The power of the large gen will mostly be thrown away if only charginb batteries anf runnimg most smallrr appliances.

carl.swoyer

I have been using the 5500 lp since 2007. The convenience of pushing the start button while traveling and the entire rig is powered up is worth the investment. You don't have to unload and hook up the portable and unhook When your done. The lp is not as efficient as the two Honda generators, but again more convenient. Lp won't get stale such as gas or diesel. I keep one lp tank off so when I run empty I have plenty of time to get a refill. I also have a Magnum ms2812 inverter and four group 31 agm deka batteries so I don't have to always have to run the gen set. And lastly I can run both 15k ac at the same time even on a 30 amp service, just keep the thermostat 2 degrees apart and they won't cycle on at the same time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk