Bike Rack Hitch

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My buddy Floyd Philbrook was nice enough to install the 2" hitch, that another friend Bob Hartsel gave me almost 2 years ago.
It is a Hidden Hitch 3500 lb. rated hitch.

http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1000&catID=1050&part=82201

It is bolted directly to the frame, as my rig did not come with the hitch brackets. This is a good alternative installation, if you do not have the hitch brackets that come from the factory.
The end plates can be adjusted for multiple applications.
We used heavy duty first quality hardware and it is solid as a rock.
Floyd is an ex-heavy equipment mechanic who has skills and every tool known to man, which helped.

At the moment I am using it to haul my bikes around and I also plan to get a platform type carrier.
I use a 12" extention to get the bike rack out past the rear cap, which probably won't be necessary with a cargo platform.

Thanks a million, Floyd and Bob. Trace

Last edited:

jdfishing

A word of caution on selecting a bike rack. Not all are designed or recommended for use on the rear of trailers. I had a rack on which the bikes are suspended by their cross member. As long as I used a gazillion bungies, it worked for awhile. Then on my last trip, California's great roadways almost cost me two bikes and lord only knows what else might have happened. I ordered a "Swagman" platform style bike rack which was recommended on a web site. When I received it, the rack was clearly marked "NOT FOR USE ON TRAILERS OR 5th WHEELS". I called and found out the web site was incorrect, and a different model was recommended by Swagman for use on trailers. Part of the differences between the two racks was the recommended one had a 2" receiver vs a 1 1/4".

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Looks great Dave, however I see you have the extra "fins" for mounting the bike that our BC did not come with:( I did find the Curt online for $200!!

Oh well, I only have to spend a little more to get another rack like we had on the old BC.