Bike rack on Sundance XLT

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I have a prospective member who has the above coach. He has the spare tire mounted on the bumper and wants to know if anyone has mounted a bike rack at the back and how they accomplished this..
Any ideas?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My experience !!!!
Have a hitch welder to the frame.
We used a bumper mounted bike rack on our old TT it had the bikes and the spare tire all mounted to it. Well it didn't take long for the welds to crack on both sides and we about lost the entire thing. Luckily we were almost home when the people in the car next to use honking there horn at us and pointing to the back of our rig.
Some times you learn things the hard way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You should also check with Heartland (have the VIN# handy) to see if the rear bumper is rated for that much weight.

Not all TT's and 5'vers rear bumpers are rated to carry anything more than a spare tire.

MP_CS

I have a two bike rack I fabricated that mounts to the rear bumper of my XLT. I removed the spare and have it under the bed temporarily because to keep it on the bumper the bike rack woulda had to be much longer and i felt woulda put way to much flex on the bumper. I highly doubt you'll find a way to mount a sturdy rack back there and keep the spare. I plan on getting a undermount carrier for the spare and custom fabbing a bike rack/cargo carrier to replace my back bumper someday. Heres​

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I have a two bike rack I fabricated that mounts to the rear bumper of my XLT. I removed the spare and have it under the bed temporarily because to keep it on the bumper the bike rack woulda had to be much longer and i felt woulda put way to much flex on the bumper. I highly doubt you'll find a way to mount a sturdy rack back there and keep the spare. I plan on getting a undermount carrier for the spare and custom fabbing a bike rack/cargo carrier to replace my back bumper someday. Heres​
Thanks for that information. is that under the ben like the one you sleep on? Thank you I will go over and show him the responses.
Don

Thanks for that information. is that under the ben like the one you sleep on? Thank you I will go over and show him the responses.
Don

Hi, I'm trying to strengthen an 1 1/4" receiver on our 3575 Bighorn. I don't want to haul a boat or any thing heavy, I want to hitch on a basket rack for the generator. Any ideas about going through the fabric under liner and finding a structural cross member ? Sandpeople

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sandpeople welcome to the posting side of the forum.
If you remove the underbelly material you will not find anything of solid structure for a cross-member.
I would either weld or bolt to the the I-beam frame.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi, I'm trying to strengthen an 1 1/4" receiver on our 3575 Bighorn. I don't want to haul a boat or any thing heavy, I want to hitch on a basket rack for the generator. Any ideas about going through the fabric under liner and finding a structural cross member ? Sandpeople

You'll probably want to abandon the 1-1/4" and move to a 2" receiver.