Bike racks

Bogie

I have a slide out tray on my Sundance. I use the same Swagman XC bike rack as jesstalking. Only difference is I mounted on the back bumper in reverse. That way it extends over the slide tray. I also customized two ratchet straps with a loop on one end to go over the center post on the bike rack. One is attached to the front of the slide tray and one back to the spare tire. That took away most of the bouncing. I haven't had a problem yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
A rear mounted bike rack is on my list, but until I get a solid mount hitch, we do this......
2qusz2a.jpg

6 speed folding bikes. Surprisingly nice rides.

dmspkm

Can you post a pic of what it looks like with the Swagman? We have the pull out platform with a post on our Trail Runner. Just used it once so far and I wasn't too keen on the way the bikes (2) leaned against each other. Looking for something a bit simpler and sturdier.

mlpeloquin

My friend has a Big country and carries two bikes in a rack mounted at the front bed of his pickup. Plenty of clearance for the Big Country's front cap. I wish our bicycle built for two would fit in the bed of my truck. I mount it in a front truck hitch. Only take it on short trips. I use a anti-rattle device such as https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-061.html. The bike doesn't budge.

pday1213

We have the factory installed hitch on our Bighorn and use the Saris Freedom 2 bike tray hitch. We carry 2 adult hybrid bikes and have not had any issues. Been using it for about 2 years. Fits in the 1 1/4" hitch on the Bighorn and comes with a sleeve so that we can put it on the pick up truck when we are at the campground.
IMG_0836.JPGIMG_0838.JPGIMG_0839.JPG

Bogie

I took some pictures today of my Swagman XC bike rack installation. When I originally installed it I adjusted the rack on the receiver post so that the tire of the rear bike was directly over the bumper. The addition of a little home made spacer allows the tire to rest on a solid surface and helps reduce bouncing. Also pictured are the stabilization straps.

An additional note: I also drilled new holes in the slide out rack so that I only need to pull it out as far as necessary when carrying only the bikes.

IMG_0740.jpg IMG_0747.jpg IMG_0741.jpg IMG_0743.jpg IMG_0748.jpg

SNOKING

To me the ideal setup would be to attach it in some fashion on either side of the receiver hitch then slip it into a total of three receivers to firm it up - to me that would be a bike rack I would use.
I have both bikes stored in my FW front compartment on a bike rack I attached to the rear wall of the compartment. I have to remove the wheels but at least I know they are in a safe place.

Have any pictures of you bike storage setup? I am thinking along those lines. I just need to get them to Arizona and back once a year. Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
An additional note: I also drilled new holes in the slide out rack so that I only need to pull it out as far as necessary when carrying only the bikes.

View attachment 46627 View attachment 46628 View attachment 46629 View attachment 46630 View attachment 46631

I always wanted to drill holes in the rear bumper rack on or previous Heartland Trail Runner as I always thought it would be sturdier if it wasn't slid out all of the way.

I never did as I don't have a heavy duty enough drill to handle that task.

Bogie

I never did as I don't have a heavy duty enough drill to handle that task.

I drilled the new holes with an ordinary 18 volt DeWalt hand drill. I drilled a pilot hole first. The key is not to try to eat the elephant in a single bite.

dmspkm

Thanks all for your input. We got a Swagman XCT bike rack and took it on a 700 mile test run. Worked great, held the bikes in place. I did use my Thule straps through the frames & tires to the bumper for a bit more peace of mind. Added bonus, removed the rack from the bumper receiver, installed it on the pickup, and headed to a near by Rail to Trail. :)

IMG_20160819_145612_173.jpgIMG_20160821_124806_434.jpg

SNOKING

Well today, I took our bike apart to the point that I fit them both in the front storage locker for the trip to Arizona for the winter in a few weeks. Front and rear weeks off, handle bars tie wrapped to the frame, and the pedal removed on the big one(mine) which is against the rear wall. Chris

Nuclearcowboy

We purchased a bike rack that mounts on the back access ladder. Works great and have had no issues so far, although we only carry one bike. It is made for two, but haven't loaded it up with two yet.

Dumboldles

We had a custom 2" receiver fabricated that bolts to the holes that are pre drilled to the frame. The bike carrier is a Swagman. The system worked great on our summer trips.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Redrider007

Be very careful loading bikes onto a ladder mounted rack. My ladder is bent to **** on our 3010 because the gap in horizontal supports is too big because of the back window. We also had a beach cruizer that was heavy by todays standards I would say. I couldn't figure out why it was bent at first knowing that I didn't back into anything. The weight of the bikes and minimal movement must have bent it in. I am really bummed out about it because it looks lousy and a rig that is so clean looking otherwise.

Geodude

We carry our bikes in the storage compartments. DW's bike goes in the main basement with the front wheel removed, mine goes in the front basement with the front wheel removed. Both are light road bikes so it's pretty easy to get them in there. It's nice having them away from sticky fingers and road dirt!

Miltp920

We had a custom 2" receiver fabricated that bolts to the holes that are pre drilled to the frame. The bike carrier is a Swagman. The system worked great on our summer trips.
View attachment 47624View attachment 47625View attachment 47626View attachment 47628
THANKS for these EXCELLENT photos. I just put this bike rack on my Christmas list. IF no one buys it, I will be buying it myself. They say these rear mounted bike racks can jump around quite a bit. Do you have any opinion on this rack? It got really good reviews. We do that the 2 inch hitch being installed to receive this bike rack, like you did.