Black Holding Tank Replacement

Birchwood

Having black holding tank replaced tomorrow with a new one from Ameri Carts.The tank leaked 6
months after the RV was purchased but never realized it wasn't normal.Called Heartland but they
never offered an explanation why sewage was in our basement.Because of my inexperience I never
persued the matter.Guess its to late now but there is a small hole on the top side of the tank.It
only leaked when the tank was filled oved 3\4 .Had the leak repaired but never held with the
pressure and movement of the tank material when in transit .I think repairing a tank would be
a waste of money and time.Will let everyone know of the reair and the final cost.

Birchwood

Tank replaced after 5 hours.Very dirty ,stinky job and next time I would drill a hole at
the lowest point on the tank and let it drain to avoid sewage when valve is disconnected.
The old tank was at least 3 times heavier than the new one due to solids still in the tank even
after emptying fluids.Changing a black holding tank is a very gross job.Was surprised buy the weight
of the old tank and will in the future have our tank pressure cleaned every other year.If not a
fulltimer this would not be necessary.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just from looking at mine and the ones on the factory floor, the left over solids could be eliminated by changing either the design of the tank or the support structure. When full, it droops between the two tank straps and probably does not fully drain. Putting a support that runs from the door side to the valve might help eliminate that, so that the tank floor is forced to drain to the valve. Chicken **** engineering.

In the day, I worked in an Engineering Lab for a luxury car manufacturer. We had problems, but when they occurred it was all hands on deck to figure out a resolution. No call someone else, no hear no evil/see no evil, no "not my job". We got involved and resolved it. If it meant a supplier got their asses reamed, even loosing a contract, so be it.

porthole

Retired
On the Cyclone the black tank is in the front mounted fore/aft. At the end of the season I will raise the trailer in the front to get maximum drainage. I will also get under the trailer and push up on the center to help it drain. I did this when I was fixing the slope of the waste drains, got more the 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket of extra "effluent"

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you still had much waste left in the tank...you might rethink your draining and flushing methods. Besides the blue stuff, some borax, and some Dawn liguid soap. We have very little waste left in the tank when we drain it. BTW, are you sure the tank spritzer is working??